Leopard Gecko care questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
I know that leopard geckos are mostly nocturnal but my friend has one that she said is starting to twitch or quiver when trying to eat his crickets. I have a bearded dragon and I know that twitching or quivering in that fashion can be a sign of MBD. I do not know if leopard geckos can get that.

The gecko in question seems pretty fat and happy otherwise. He has a nice plump tail which I know is a good sign of fat reserves. He is the most anxious out of her three leopard geckos. Each gecko has their own tank also. He hides most of the time, even during the evening. He will let you handle him if you can manage to get him out of hiding.

Also the tank is heated with a 75watt heat bulb. I have heard of using an under the tank heater for leopard geckos but what do you all use?

Does anyone have any advice I could give my friend? Thank you everyone.

Phoneguy

They do not need uvb light. They are nocturnal animals and would hide from any uvb. They can develop mbd if they do not get proper supliments, they need calcium with d3. Dusted at least once a week. I always kept a small dish of calcium without d3 in the tank at all times for them to lick when they want it. Hope this helps.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Phoneguy":ir6kavlz said:
They do not need uvb light. They are nocturnal animals and would hide from any uvb. They can develop mbd if they do not get proper supliments, they need calcium with d3. Dusted at least once a week. I always kept a small dish of calcium without d3 in the tank at all times for them to lick when they want it. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice. :D I will pass it along. I'm pretty sure she dusts every time she feeds them, which is every other day. Is that too much dusting? I do not know if the supplement is calcium with D3 or just regular calcium. How do you heat your tank?

Phoneguy

I don't think dusting every feeding is too much, I would not dust with d3 every time though, once or twice a week with d3. As for heat, I always used an uth on a dimmer. They need belly heat and temps should be 88-93 at the ground level in the hide. Most uth' get too hot without a dimmer.

Dranya

I heat my tank with a heat mat and heat bulb both on the hot side.
I use a regular dimmer plug in from a DIY store for the light.

Dusting once a week or every other day is just fine. They need calcium because there isn't enough in their usual diet. They need the D3 with it because this is what helps adsorb it into their body.

Hope this helps!

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dranya":2bfxv6ys said:
I heat my tank with a heat mat and heat bulb both on the hot side.
I use a regular dimmer plug in from a DIY store for the light.

Dusting once a week or every other day is just fine. They need calcium because there isn't enough in their usual diet. They need the D3 with it because this is what helps adsorb it into their body.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the info! :)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
It's recommended that people leave a bowl of repashy with d3 in the cage for the leos to go for when they want it.

Also, some leos do not absorb powder well. My Ava came down with MBD because she could not properly absorb the powder. We have her on liquid calcium with d3 3x a week and liquid vitamins with d3 one time a week and and it seems to helping her. There's a thread under the gecko forum of her with videos if you want to take a look at her.

I keep my leos near a window so that they can regulate their day and night with the natural day and light cycle. I don't use a bulb as it gets too hot and the UTH is all they need to properly digest. Hope this helps.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
Original Poster
zandi202":2isvvv9l said:
It's recommended that people leave a bowl of repashy with d3 in the cage for the leos to go for when they want it.

Also, some leos do not absorb powder well. My Ava came down with MBD because she could not properly absorb the powder. We have her on liquid calcium with d3 3x a week and liquid vitamins with d3 one time a week and and it seems to helping her. There's a thread under the gecko forum of her with videos if you want to take a look at her.

I keep my leos near a window so that they can regulate their day and night with the natural day and light cycle. I don't use a bulb as it gets too hot and the UTH is all they need to properly digest. Hope this helps.

This helps a lot! Thank you for all the information :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom