please compare Zoo Med and Exo Terra terrariums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewels

I am getting a leopard gecko and the breeder recommended an Exo Terra Natural Terrarium 18x18x18. I noticed there is a same sized Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium at a local pet store for considerably less money. The Exo Terra does come with a 3 D background that the Zoo Med does not have. Other than that they seem very similar (other than the obvious one door on the Zoo Med and two doors on the Exo Terra). Of course they were in boxes so it was hard to get an idea on quality comparison. I have never owned either brand of terrarium so I don't have anything to reference. My beardie is in a 40 gal breeder with plans for a DIY project to make him a bigger enclosure soon. I would love to hear pros and cons from those of you who own either of these terrariums or have working knowledge of them. The gecko breeder insists that the Exo Terra is superior... but then he also sells them so I don't know that he is unbiased. If it is better than I can handle the increased price. If it's not, then I'll just go with the (much) cheaper Zoo Med I can buy locally. Please chime in! I plan to have this terrarium and my new gecko for a long time and would like to be happy with my purchase! Thanks so much!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Hello. :D
- I've never used the Zoo med brand but I don't see why not :wink:
-I like the Exo Terra because mine is only 12" high. Leo's aren't the greatest climbers. Yes, they do great on platforms but they're not going to go Tarzan and walk a type rope. Height is just wasted space in my opinion :wink: I also like how there's a sort of a "frame" around the bottom of the tank so the cord from the UTH fits under perfectly without getting pinched.It also provides a nice gap to allow excess heat to escape.
-Leo's don't require extreme care. If the other tank is more cost effective, then go with that. I'd just recommend the Zoo Med UTH. It comes with little "feet" to raise tanks that don't have a frame enough to let excess heat escape :wink:
-I also found that it took a while to get the surface temp just right. I suggest getting that spot on before bring baby home.
*Edit*
I almost forgot! :oops: The foam backgrounds look nice but aren't very functional. You can't scrub them or really disinfect them if you need to. I tossed mine away the first day I had it. You could always grout it and add to it tho. :idea: I'm just not a fan of leaving them as is. They just fall apart too easily.
Good luck.
Hope I helped a little :study:

I own 5 large Exo Terra terrariums and 4 ZooMed terrariums! Both are very nice!
The Exo Terra line offers larger terrariums so my big terrariums have to be from Exo Terra. Zoo Med terrariums are offered in smaller sizes. I prefer the more solidly built ZooMed terrariums hands down!! I don't think you'll suffer with either but in the size you are looking for, my humble opinion is my own choice,.....Zoo Med!! I like how much nicer the overall construction is!!......if a smaller terrarium serves your specific needs! My latest Zoo Med terrarium is 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall by 18 inches deep and it is a very nice terrarium!! It cost me 104.00 bucks at PetSmart during a recent sale!! The comparable Exo Terra terrarium was 20 dollars cheaper,.....as it should be!! My rule is simple,.....if the size I need is offered by Zoo Med,....I buy Zoo Med without hesitation! I like all my large Exo Terra terrariums, but they have a couple issues the Zoo Med does not!
Bless,
Bill

jewels

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the input. At my local Petco, there is an 18x18x18 Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium for 99.99 and an 24 wide x 18 deep x 12 high Exo Terra Natural Terrarium for 110.00. I asked if they could order me in an 18x18x18 Exo Terra and they said yes and they thought it would also be 99.99. So I could get either brand in an 18x18x18 or the Exo Terra in the wider and shorter model. Both have those nice front glass panel doors that open which makes it much easier for my kids to use without having to disturb the lid and any lighting accessories that might be on it. Yay! The Exo Terra has two doors and the Zoo Med has one door. Would you recommend the wider and shorter Exo Terra because Leopard Geckos don't climb much and that would give it more floor space? Or would the 18x18x18 size be better? If so, I assume the vote is for the Zoo Med brand in that size. Again, thanks so much! I hate to buy something without knowing what I'm getting!

jewels

Original Poster
Bill, does the Zoo med have a raised bottom so it has some air circulation and room to place an UTH like the Exo Terra does? And are there places to insert thermometers and thermostats and keep their cords out of the way? Thanks!

chastityx

Sub-Adult Member
i prefer the exo terras, but i do remove the background because it's easy for them to scratch and it ends up everywhere in the terrarium.

Both ZooMed and Exo Terra provide raised corners at the bottom for UTH applications. Again, both brands are in the "very nice" terrarium class! All my 40 breeders are Exo Terra. My ball python resides in a 18 x 18 x 12 Exo Terra because it was at a very nice discount.
I love the single glass door ZooMed latching/locking mechanism over the Exo Terra!
I enjoy the ZooMed benefits of much less grid plastic interfering with my chosen heat lamps placed on top of my terrariums. Plastic melts. It has? I spoke with Exo Terra reps at two consecutive Tinley Park Breeder Convention shows in our Chicagoland area! For fire safety and strength ( across the front, top when the double doors are open ) of the Exo Terra I pitched their plastic grid, screen tops in the trash for full screen tops with metal perimeter framing fitting my 40 breeders I bought for 18.00 each thru PetMountain.com.
I would never and have never put a cheap foam background IN my terrariums with the nails of my huge dragons and the various live feeders I put into my habitats each day??? Roaches, Supers and Crickets easily climb, chew and hide behind the cheap foam??? Supers chew through plastic cups and crickets will bore through aluminum foil?? HOWEVER, I do place the rocky looking background behind the back wall glass providing the benefit of a nice visual background without the actual foam problems IN my terrariums! Placing their foam backgrounds behind the glass offers a much more appealing scene rather than my wall decor behind the tanks!
Lastly,....I use very hot, 310 degree, professional steam vapor for all my terrarium cleaning! The silicone in my Exo Terra has disappeared in areas and required my reapplication with better, more durable silicone?? My ZooMed terrariums have not had one issue with my pressurized, super hot, steam vapor cleanings?? Actually, my silicone replacement work in my large Exo Terra terrariums hold up well now under my steam pressure cleanings!
I do use top access aquariums for various applications like separately housing my superworms and beetles at various stages of growth,......but I cannot go without front opening access for my daily entry into my various reptiles habitats!!
I just rehomed a bearded dragon, Bowser, for a wonderful family who cannot provide for Bowser any longer. They gave me everything! I used their 40 gallon top access aquarium in my home for two weeks just to provide some consistency for Bowser throughout all the beneficial transitional changes of bathing, diet, vitamins, lighting and people he had to experience while with me now. Once two weeks passed I gladly rehomed his 40 gallon Aquarium to my Red Eared Slider friend's home and placed Bowser in a prepared Exo Terra 40 breeder! I cannot move or remove top mounted lighting every time I need to gain access to my animals or their habitat! More importantly,....front access terrariums allow for less vertical spacing between shelving so I can get more terrariums on my large black powder coated, large, steel shelving systems!!
These are my humble opinions and experiences,....and my chosen remedies!
Bless,
Bill

jewels

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the information! The breeder I plan to get my gecko from has repeatedly insisted that he ONLY recommends Exo Terra for his geckos so I was hesitant to get the Zoo Med even though it was a considerable savings. I'm glad to know I have options! I would rather save the money! I think I'll go with the Zoo Med for the gecko. Does anyone have an opinion on whether an 18x18x18 size is better or a 24 wide x 18 deep x 12 high for a gecko?

I'm now considering the large Exo Terra for my bearded dragon. He's been in a 40 gal breeder... which I despise for the simple fact that it is such a hassle to remove lights and lid every time we want to get him in and out... and I've meant to get him something bigger. The issue is that I want front opening doors for the next enclosure and it seems the only ones I can find are WAY out of my price range for a single cage. I've been hoping my hubby could build something but it seems something else always comes up to fill our time... life's like that with 5 kids and a house full of pets! The large Exo Terra is reasonable in price and has the front doors that I want, but it is the same size as a 40 gal breeder. I wish it was slightly bigger... like 48 inches wide, or 24 inches deep... but he's been happy for 4 years in a 36x18x18 so I think I'll upgrade to the Exo Terra for the front doors and then at least I won't have to hassle with a lid while I'm waiting for my hubby to build something bigger!

Again,....with either terrarium you will be in a very nice situation!!

The Exo Terra 40 Breeder with front doors is worth the 150-160.00 dollars I pay on sale at PetSmart in their store! I do not favor buying large, heavy glass online and for delivery,....my own preference!!

Also, for my comfort and lighting choices, I replaced Exo Terra's screen top with a solid screen top with a strong steel perimeter so Id have no plastic grid interference!.....or melting!! My preference?

Both brands of terrariums are attractive as well and conform to my overall black steel shelving and black/glass vertival terrarium housing project/neighborhood!

Your ZooMed terrarium choice for your gecko will likely have NO plastic grid anywhere in the center of the top. Mine do not.....even the largest ZooMed I got!

I caught the "5 kids"?? Bless you and your hubby!!
I have one! I go it all alone!! My daughter actually grew my love of reptiles over her years!! My love for dogs goes way back!
Enjoy,
Bless,
Bill

jewels

Original Poster
Bill, when you replaced the Exo Terra lid with a metal lid, it didn't interfere with the front doors opening? Did you have to modify it at all so the lip didn't cover the top of the doors?

Yes, five kids keeps us busy! Not to mention our standard poodle, devon rex (cat), dusky conure (parrot), bearded dragon, and guinea pig! Now we're adding a leopard gecko to the mix... I think we must be crazy! My kids all inherited their love of animals from me, and my poor hubby is out numbered. It's a good thing he is a tolerant and supportive man!

Great question!! No interference!
The pivoting lid locks all around the top raise the metal screened top just enough for the 90 degree perimeter angled steel border to clear the doors swing!!
With the aftermarket metal screen top, when both Exo Terra doors are fully open,....the otherwise weak, pathetic plastic frame spanning the front, top three feet gains some rigidity and strength to place things more confidently on the top without adding the top weight directly on the glass doors??

Over the last few months, I also upgraded all my T-8 ZooMed UVB lighting to the ZooMed High Output T-5 UVB lighting on all my habitats! Better penetration into the taller terrariums and awesome natural plant growth in my 70 gallon baby tortoise home!! Any screen cover will interfere with a percentage of light passing through so I beefed up the light fixture and bulbs!! Once I got a taste of HO T-5 lighting,.....everything got changed!

I can't recommend PetMountain.com for every pet need but certainly for the screen top and ZooMed lighting! No tax, no shipping, everyday low pricing and emailed specials offer the greatest savings and highest quality I have seen yet! With FedEx shipping, second to none quality packaging and unmatched customer service,....I wait the 4-5 days free ground shipping from SanDiego without a hiccup!

My two cents,.....maybe three today?
Bless,
Bill

jewels

Original Poster
Bill, is the Zilla Fresh Air Screen Cover for a 50 gal tank (18x36) priced at $18.27 on Pet Mountain the one you are referring to? Thanks for your help!

That is the exact one!
PetMountain just started a Birthday Sale with free shipping at 45 or 49 bucks!
With all the animals you have dropping 100 bucks on needed supplies is a blink!! I have the same thing here!
I love the Zilla screen covers! I love the hinged ones for my 10 gallons, 20 longs and I have 3 that fit my 40 breeders and one huge 4 foot one for my 70 gallon tortoise habitat! They hold heat lamps and UVB fixtures very nicely and provide animal and feeder containment very well!!
PetMountain and FedEx will offer you great delivery! That tandem force handles 3 and 4 foot light tubes across this country for me without any issues ever!!
Bless,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom