Leopard Gecko Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbsteroon

Hatchling Member
I was thinking about getting a Leopard Gecko because of their long life span and because they don't have to eat as much as bearded dragons (I still love you, Riley). So I'm new to leopard geckos and I've read A LOT of care sheets and I still have questions.

1) What lights can I use to view them at day time (and when do I turn them off/on)? What can I use to view them at night time? ***Need detailed answers***

2) When do I feed them?

3) A leopard gecko will eat 2 small critters for every inch every other day. Is this true?

4) How long do I have to keep the U.T.H. on?

5) When and how often can I handle them?

Well, thx!

1) What lights can I use to view them at day time (and when do I turn them off/on)? What can I use to view them at night time? ***Need detailed answers***

I use the zoomed basking bulb 75w and for night time i do not have a light, i wouldn't recommend one.

2) When do I feed them?

i feed at night before i shut her light off because they are nocturnal and are most active at night.

3) A leopard gecko will eat 2 small critters for every inch every other day. Is this true?

i would feed as much as it would eat in 10ish minutes. If its a baby, start off with a small number of mealworms and crickets. You can tell when they will start to need more food. Usually i feed mine daily but sometimes she is not interested so i skip a day

4) How long do I have to keep the U.T.H. on?

Always.

5) When and how often can I handle them?

Once you give them a week or 2 to acclimate to their new tank you can start handling them slowly and for short periods of time. Eventually they will become used to you and hold them whenever you want. Mine loves coming out of the tank to explore around my room.

These are answers according to what i do, other people may have different preferences but my gecko is happy and healthy so i think i'm doing it right

zandi202

BD.org Addict
1. Leopard geckos do not require lights. All they need is to be near a window so they can get the natural light through the window to tell if it is day or night time. Or in my leo/s, Ava, case, I have her next to my beardie cages and she uses those lights to know when it is time.

2. I feed mine at night which is typically when they begin to wake up. You can also leave a dish of worms in there with them so they can munch when they want to.

3. I never heard of that rule and honestly feed mine until they're full. I know adults you feed less so that could be an adult rule.

4. The UTH should be on 24/7 and you should have a dimmer switch with it because it produces temps of up to 120+ and leos require a temp of 85-90 to properly digest.

5. I handle mine every night or at least try to. Depending on my night its for five minutes or even half an hour. It all depends on you and how long and often you can handle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom