Ava Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Hello,

We've had Ava since mid December, maybe a little later than that. We bought the stupid set up at Petco thinking that a starter could would have everything we needed since it matched up with their to-buy list for leos. Anyways, she was on sand but hasn't been on it since...February and I do not believe she is impacted since she eats well enough and typically has good, normal bowel movements. She went sometime yesterday.

She has a hard time seeing and when I first bought her, she was one of two - both a Christmas gift - and the Petco employee said two are fine to keep together. The other one bullied her so we returned him and I think he might have hurt her eye which is why she has a hard time seeing her food.

Anyways, way off topic now. Whenever I (or Paul who she adores) go to pick her up, she flips over onto her back in our hand. At first we thought she was trying to "play dead" so we'd leave her alone, but today I noticed it seems like she has control over it. Koth and Nissa, my two other leos (all housed separately) don't do that.

And she's walking funny. It's really off. Here's a video:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Hmmm... I think it's Lonzo, Deb's senior BD that flips over on his back. For him, It's due to decreased lung function. I'd talk to Deb then post on a gecko forum. The 2 symptoms may be related..?

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Cho and Baron both flipped over due to water being in their ears, and would walk funny as well. It might be an ear infection or inner ear problem, or something like that. I hope you find out what is wrong with sweet Ava! And soon!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, me too. Paul and I might go to the ER vet tomorrow if we can't get an appointment. Especially since it's Saturday and GAH I'm stuck at work.

Breathe in....release....

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So far from Google and Youtube I am seeing a lot of MBD as an option and needing liquid calcium. How would I get that into her??? While she is bitting me slip the syringe in?

Deep breaths

morphmom

BD.org Addict
LOL! :lol: What about injecting a tasty worm with it? You could put the poor buggie in the fridge just to slow it down, then...well...it's for the greater good.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, Holly. I really needed a laugh. I'd have to tong feed her the worm, though so that makes it harder. She can't hand/eye coordinate very well and we have to trick her into eating off the tongs.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Posting so I can follow. Text me anytime day or night. We're here for you always. You're an amazing mom, believe it and quit blaming yourself. You have the biggest heart of anyone I have EVER met and I sincerely mean it. We love you, Ava!! Hang in there mommy.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
KristineM":1nsw9ift said:
Posting so I can follow. Text me anytime day or night. We're here for you always. You're an amazing mom, believe it and quit blaming yourself. You have the biggest heart of anyone I have EVER met and I sincerely mean it. We love you, Ava!! Hang in there mommy.

Aw, where's the Like button when you need it? 8)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, Kristine.

I'm starting to think it's MBD because it can start with rubber jaw making it hard to each which has always been a problem for Ava though she ate 12 mealies last night... I just don't know. I bought new Repashy. I thought the one I bought had D3, coulda sworn it had said it, but can;t find any mention of it so I bought one that does have it and it's in her dish now.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So I'm ex-naying MBD and the water in the ear thing.

MBD because it's fast acting and she has had trouble eating for a long time for wouldn't she be worse by now? Almost on the verge of death?

Can't be the water in the ear thing because yesterday Nissa nose dived into her water dish her whole head submerged, popped out, shook it off, and kept on trucking. I just don't know anymore.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wish I could help but I don't know anything about geckos. She definitely walks unsteady & off balance. My first thought was perhaps a lack of vitamins?

Did you send Deb a pm?

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Whenever I pick up Harlow she completely flops on her back too but quickly gets to her feet when she's out of her tank. Ill post a video when I get home but from my understanding some geckos have a hard time either seeing or aiming for food too. Harlow flips all the time but Eve misses her food all the time. I need to hold it like under her face.

They're just silly animals compared to beardies. I think you're just worrying too much :) as long as she's eating, not showing signs of distress I wouldn't worry

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
@Diane
I pm'd Deb and am standing by for a response, might not be until I go to bed though.

The repashy I've been dusting her food with every day is a combo of vitamins and calcium and I thought it had D3 as well, but now can't find any mention of it though it doesn't look like the MBD I've seen in videos though there's is more drastic.

Some of them walk better than she does and they say MBD so I'm not even sure I'm looking for the right stuff.

Paul thinks it could be parasites so she might need a fecal... Great. She ate well the night before last so she's due for a good poo.

@Ohsmileb
But I'm also really concerned about her walk. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom