Am I feeding my leopard gecko enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 1.5 she has probably stopped growing. Try weighing her now and every few weeks for a while. If her weight is pretty constant, she is eating enough.

You can weigh her with a food scale or similar. Weigh an empty container, then put her in the container and weigh again. Subtract the weight of the container to get her weight.

drakedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ScalesandChords":ofm8c6t8 said:
At 1.5 she has probably stopped growing. Try weighing her now and every few weeks for a while. If her weight is pretty constant, she is eating enough.

You can weigh her with a food scale or similar. Weigh an empty container, then put her in the container and weigh again. Subtract the weight of the container to get her weight.

Yeah I don't think she is going to grow anymore. She was 50 grams the last time I weighed her

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I wish I could get my leo to eat 6 crickets every other day. I could put 5 crickets in there... and at the end of the week I would have 4 dead crickets and one just hanging out.

Don't misunderstand my post. I have no idea if that's enough.. or too much. I would assume that if your gecko has a nice healthy fat store in its tail.. its doing good. My poor Stubby has a decent tail.. but I wouldn't call it fat.

20130707_134447_zps2ceea141.jpg

If its tail is bigger than that.. you probably have it well fed.

Spikeshuman":11c8b5x9 said:
I wish I could get my leo to eat 6 crickets every other day. I could put 5 crickets in there... and at the end of the week I would have 4 dead crickets and one just hanging out.

Don't misunderstand my post. I have no idea if that's enough.. or too much. I would assume that if your gecko has a nice healthy fat store in its tail.. its doing good. My poor Stubby has a decent tail.. but I wouldn't call it fat.

20130707_134447_zps2ceea141.jpg

If its tail is bigger than that.. you probably have it well fed.

Looks like a healthy, plump leopard gecko there!

In regards to not eating the crickets, some leopard geckos can be picky about their food and enjoy some variety and some just aren't great hunters (maybe the crickets are a bit too fast). You could try offering other feeders like meal worms, small supers, silk worms, butter worms, and small horn worms.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
The only ones I can get locally out of that list are mealworms. The supers they sell here are even too big for my beardie to digest. Sadly Stubby does not like mealworms. He basically exists on waxworms which I think is a horrible diet.. but I can't get him to eat anything else. I tried mealworms again last week. I left them in the cage for a whole week. He did not eat even one. I ended up having to put them back in the tupperwear so they would not turn into beetles.

Oh and.. Stubby is named so because he is missing a foot. He was shipped to petsmart with his foot stuck in the lid of the plastic cup thing he was in. He was dangling by his poor arm the whole way from the breeder to the store. They gave him to me because they knew I would take the time to tend to his foot. At first he would chase down his crickets. Once his foot fell off and there was a raw stub there.. he has not "run" since. I treated it with powdered antibiotics and it healed over great.. but hes still a pretty slow guy. I think thats why he ignores crickets. He tries to snap at them when they run past his face.. thats about it.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Spikeshuman":3sno9ok0 said:
The supers they sell here are even too big for my beardie to digest. Sadly Stubby does not like mealworms. He basically exists on waxworms which I think is a horrible diet.. but I can't get him to eat anything else.
Could you order proper sized supers online? I know Mylo will take a super over a meal worm any day! :lol: Strange...how they look so a like, and yet Mylo seems to know the difference :dontknow:
http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=462

ElviraCherry

I think 6 per day is quite enough. Weighing your gecko sounds as a good idea though, just to make sure you are doing everything right)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom