Sick 10-Year-Old Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my 10.5 year old female leopard geckos has become lethargic. Her tail is thinner than it was and her belly looks a bit bloated. She has not wanted food in about a week, and has not pooped as far as we know. She is staying out in the open, whereas previously she liked to hide.

She looked OK 2-3 weeks ago when I went on vacation, but when I returned, the sitter pointed out her condition. The lizards had a vet checkup late last year.

She and her sister have always shared a tank. The substrate is newspaper. They eat superworms (not too big). There have been no recent changes in their care or environment. The spot on the sick leo's belly is darker than her sister's but it may always have been.

When I adopted them nine years ago, this one was skinny and had little appetite. The vet said they had pinworms, and had me treat both leos (and my bearded dragon) with Panacur. That helped, and she has been healthy since then.

I'll call the vet tomorrow and try to get an appointment this week. I'd appreciate suggestions on what to do until she can be seen. adTHANKSvance!

ScalesandChords

Original Poster
Further update: took her to the vet Monday (2 days ago). They did fecal tests and an X ray, but did not find anything specific. Probably some sort of intestinal problem. Now have Lactulose (treats constipation) and Ensure (for nutrition), both liquids. We are also to give her tepid baths. I'm making an appointment for next week in case she is not better. If she is better, I am to call for instructions on starting Carnivore Care diet.

I was worried about giving her the medicine and nutrition, because when the leos got Panacur (for pinworms) several years ago, it was tricky to get their mouths open without hurting them. Fortunately, she seems to like the taste, and if I put the liquid on her upper lip she licks it off. She takes the Lactulose easily since it's only a drop. She isn't taking much of the nutrition at a time because she won't stay still for more than a few seconds, but I'm trying to give her some a few times a day.

Would it be OK to give her some chicken baby food? She had it before and liked it.

She seems to be feeling a bit better. She's more alert and active (see "won't stay still") and is spending part of the time in her old hiding places instead of staying out in the open.

By the way, when she is out in the open, she tends to put her chin on the water dish so it is higher than her belly. Bearded dragons sometimes sleep vertically, which is believed to help digestion. Maybe this leo is doing something similar.

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
I would assume the chicken baby food is ok. Beardies can eat it in place of their crickets when they are sick or refuse to eat on their own.

ScalesandChords":18aooozc said:
Further update: took her to the vet Monday (2 days ago). They did fecal tests and an X ray, but did not find anything specific. Probably some sort of intestinal problem. Now have Lactulose (treats constipation) and Ensure (for nutrition), both liquids. We are also to give her tepid baths. I'm making an appointment for next week in case she is not better. If she is better, I am to call for instructions on starting Carnivore Care diet.

I was worried about giving her the medicine and nutrition, because when the leos got Panacur (for pinworms) several years ago, it was tricky to get their mouths open without hurting them. Fortunately, she seems to like the taste, and if I put the liquid on her upper lip she licks it off. She takes the Lactulose easily since it's only a drop. She isn't taking much of the nutrition at a time because she won't stay still for more than a few seconds, but I'm trying to give her some a few times a day.

Would it be OK to give her some chicken baby food? She had it before and liked it.

She seems to be feeling a bit better. She's more alert and active (see "won't stay still") and is spending part of the time in her old hiding places instead of staying out in the open.

By the way, when she is out in the open, she tends to put her chin on the water dish so it is higher than her belly. Bearded dragons sometimes sleep vertically, which is believed to help digestion. Maybe this leo is doing something similar.

10 years old is getting up there in age for leopard geckos so she might be slowing down naturally to some degree.

How much weight has she lost? I would continue with live food if possible if you can get her to eat it versus getting her onto baby food (leos can be stubborn on what they like). I would suggest trying something easier to digest than super worms such as small dubia roaches, a few wax worms, butter worms, or phoenix worms.

Also what are the current temps in the enclosure? Temps are often tied closely to appetite and digestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom