Crested Gecko Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Hello All,

I'll be receiving my first Crested gecko next Thursday and I had a few questions for experienced crestie owners. I've read a lot of literature on them but just like with beardies there are always tidbits here and there missing.

1) I've read they need 12 hours of lighting but no heat source as room temperature is perfect for them. My temps at night go down to 69 and highest during the day is 77. My delima is lighting. The room he'll be in is poorly lit so what type of lighting do you suggest that puts out little heat? I could put him in a brighter room but he'd be in there with two adult beardies and I didn't know how that would affect him.

2) I have reptile carpet for him but does anyone use a loose substrate that's safe that can easily be moistened to increase humidity?

3) Does anyone use any live plants in their enclosures? And what type if so?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Linziehonn":wt9b6tqh said:
Hello All,

I'll be receiving my first Crested gecko next Thursday and I had a few questions for experienced crestie owners. I've read a lot of literature on them but just like with beardies there are always tidbits here and there missing.

1) I've read they need 12 hours of lighting but no heat source as room temperature is perfect for them. My temps at night go down to 69 and highest during the day is 77. My delima is lighting. The room he'll be in is poorly lit so what type of lighting do you suggest that puts out little heat? I could put him in a brighter room but he'd be in there with two adult beardies and I didn't know how that would affect him. They don't need any special lighting. They are nocturnal so sleep during the day and are up at night. they just needs a lot of things to climb on. I used sticks from outside after baking them for 45 minutes, and fake plants and vines that I got at a craft store.

2) I have reptile carpet for him but does anyone use a loose substrate that's safe that can easily be moistened to increase humidity?
I just use paper towels as they poop quite a bit, and it is so much easier to just change the paper towel than clean the repti carpet
3) Does anyone use any live plants in their enclosures? And what type if so?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

Jess

Extreme Poster
I don't give mine any lighting right now. Lighting is usually just used for live plants.

Coco fiber is the best loose substrate for them. I am actually working on a planted viv right now for mine, and he will be moved into it once I add a few more things to it. :)

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah thank you for your replies! See everything I read said they needed good lighting for at least 12 hours a day, that's why I like to ask actual owners to see if that's valid or necessary.
I purchased the whole set up from Pangea as well as my gecko. It seemed to be much more accurate than the beardie set ups the pet stores push on people, that are completely wrong.

I am so very excited! I have been wanting one for a very long time but they're opposites of beardies so it made me nervous to try. They are adorable!

If either of you have any special tips that aren't in the care guides I'd love to hear them! Also if you have certain care guides you go by it would be great if you can point me towards it!

Thanks again! I'll post pics when he gets here!

Jess

Extreme Poster
Pangea has good kits and geckos! Join the forum too if you can. :) They are very helpful, and it's fun to look through all the viv pics!

They are SOOO much easier than beardies, so don't be too worried! IMO keeping them cool enough is the trickiest part.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I've read that keeping them cool is the most difficult part for everyone! Luckily I don't have to worry about that because the hottest my house ever gets is 78 and that's during the work day when I'm not there. If I'm there it's around 73 at all times.

Do you think he would be okay in the same room with my beardies? If I put him in the same room he'll be able to see one of them from across the room. It's just my lightest and coolest room but it's also very easy to make it dark.

I will definitely join that forum! Thank you!!

Jess

Extreme Poster
All my lizards are in the same room, and none of them seem to care. Dud get a little jealous once when I fed the geckos before him LOL but that was it.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hahaha! That's funny! I can so see Mem getting jealous! Well that's good to know, thanks Jess! I know exactly where I'll put him then!

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Good luck with your new crestie! Your thread had answered a lot of my questions too. :) Im considering getting one soon, and also purchasing that same kit you did.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you and good luck to you as well!! I can't wait wait to meet my new lil guy! His kit will be in tomorrow and him Thursday, if weather permits. It's around 102-105 here this week, eek!!

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This is Macalla which is Australian and means Full Moon. He's very skittish for now but I've only had him a little over a week. I've held him twice for just a minute or so at a time. The first time he jumped on my face and scared the mess out of me lol I had no idea that they could fly! :wink:

Macalla2.jpg

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
He's very cute! Were you happy with the transactions from Pangea? I've read that they are very quick and professional, is this true?
How do you like the setup and all the supplies that came with it? Did you need to buy anything extra?

Sorry for all the questions, Im still debating whether or not to go with the kit or purchase everything separate. I have a 10 gallon tank that I can turn vertical and get clamps for the screen, but I haven't decided yet if thats what I want to do.

Do you think you're going to keep the 12x12x18 exo terra the kit comes with, or eventually get a bigger enclosure? That was one thing Im unsure about. Id like to eventually get the 18x18x24 exo terra, but thats defiantly WAY too big for a baby.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I loved dealing with them, everything went very quickly! They sent the set up first then you choose what date you want to receive the gecko. They'll answer any questions you could possibly have as well!

I actually chose the free gecko option which is just whichever one they hand pick but you can tell them what your preference is and they'll do their best to accomodate. I picked out a picture of one they had for sale and the one they sent me looks almost just like him. He's very curious it seems, I read that they like to hide a good bit during the day but he rarely hides away, only if I mess with him lol. He pretty much sits atop his branches and leaves most the day. Then as soon as all the lights go out, it's almost INSTANT that he starts running around and eating. They're very interesting creatures. I'm going to have to get a night viewing light source so that I can see him when he's most active.

They really do provide every single thing you could possibly need but I did go and buy a few extra things. I wanted to give him a hide, and a little more foliage. I also bought the open mouth squeeze bottle to pre-mix his food and just keep it in the frigde, makes it easy to squirt some in a cup and put it in there. The tank will work with what they provide though. If you have a lot of chlorine in your water I would suggest buying a solution to remove it, luckily I don't have chlorine in mine.

A ten gallon tank would work perfectly fine for them, I haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade to the 18x18x24 yet, I will just wait and see how he is when he's an adult. I have no intention of getting a second one so he could live just fine in the 12x12x18, but we'll see when that day comes. They also send a critter keeper with the kit that you can place him in for a while until he's ready for a bigger enclosure but I went ahead and put him in the 12x12x18. I was going to see how he acted with it to see if he needed to be in the critter keeper but he ate the very first night so I knew he was fine.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Im so jealous! I can't wait to get one, but Im trying my best not to rush into it to make sure Im completely ready...I think I just worry too much. :roll:
So you think if I went ahead and got the kit the 12x12x18 will be big enough? I feel like, like with beardies, theres so much conflicting info. Some care sheets say that size is good for one adult, others say the next size up is what you need, which is why Im still confused.

I like those squirt bottles they have too, Ill definitely get on, and some extra of those little plastic cups.
One thing Im not sure about, but you might know...if you occasionally feed live feeders, do you dust them with calcium + d3, or just plain calcium?

Im thinking about also ordering some of that Pangea fruit stuff, some more vines and plants, and maybe a hide. :)

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There are a lot of care sheets out there but I go by Pangea's care sheet, which states the 12x12x18 is ideal for a single adult crested gecko but you can certainly go larger if you want, so longer it's mostly going taller rather than just bigger.

Their care sheet also says to dust with Calcium with D3, that's what they send with the kit. I have tried to give Macalla tiny crickets and dubia's and so far he is only interested in the CGD, which is fine by me. I'll try again when he's older. I'm guessing since they do not have a UVB source that the D3 would be necessary in order to absorb their calcium. Just like us, you cannot absorb calcium without D3.

That's great that you're doing your research and making sure you're completely ready before you get one! I wish everybody did that with all their pets!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom