Tips for Socializing a Timid Leopard Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissFirefly

Hatchling Member
I have a rescue leopard gecko in my care who I have next to no background on but I think he's an adult based on his size and I was able to sex him as a male.

From what I can tell, he was almost never, if ever, handled before I took him into my care. He literally darts into one of his hides as soon as I step into my room and only peeks out if I'm offering food (he has quite the appetite). The first time I picked him up, to transfer him to his travel container to his tank, he tried to bite me. I gave him a week to settle in and after that he'd tentatively come out of his warm side hide and walk across my hand and I was able to pick him up a few times without signs of aggression.

Due to a vacation, I wasn't able to handle him for about a week and now he PANICS if I try to get near him. I obviously don't want to stress the guy out but I don't feel comfortable re-homing him if he's too difficult to handle.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions on how to help him realize I'm not out to kill him?

Vader (the gecko) and myself thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom