Leopard Gecko Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
I have 2 bearded dragons, but I'm thinking about also getting a leopard gecko as well. I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I get one. So I have some questions if someone with experience could help me. :)

FOOD:
What types of feeders
How many
How many times day/week
Besides food and water dishes, do they need a dish with just calcium in it?

LIGHTING/HEAT
Do they need a UVB like beardies?
What wattage/type of heat bulb would be good for 20gal tank?
Do temps need to be different on hot and cool sides like they do for beardies?
Do geckos require a humid environment?
Can I use a digital thermometer with probe to measure temps like done with beardie vivs?
IS a UTH needed at all times or just during winter/cool times of year?

SUBSTRATE/VIV DECOR
Can I use non adhesive shelf liner for a substrate?
Do I need moist moss just in hide and which side of viv does this moss hide go on?
Do I need a hide on hot and cool sides?

Can they misted in their tanks?
Do they need baths?
What time of night is best to feed them?
What time of night are they most active?
Do they brumate/hibernate at any time during the year?

Sorry if I asked so many questions. I just want to make sure I cover everything. And if there is any advice/tips that anyone would like to add, please feel free to. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Jess

Extreme Poster
FOOD:
What types of feeders Mealworms, superworms, crickets, roaches, hornworms, silkworms, waxies... Same as a beardie, but on a smaller scale!
How many Typically 3 - 8 per feeding. Depends on the feeder and age of your gecko.
How many times day/weekEvery day for geckos under a year, every other day for adults.
Besides food and water dishes, do they need a dish with just calcium in it? Yup. Make sure it is plain calcium with no D3.

LIGHTING/HEAT
Do they need a UVB like beardies?No.
What wattage/type of heat bulb would be good for 20gal tank?Using an undertank heater with a thermostat is much better for them than a light. They need belly heat.
Do temps need to be different on hot and cool sides like they do for beardies?Yes. 90 - 95*F hot side, 75 - 80*F cool side.
Do geckos require a humid environment?No, just a humid hide.
Can I use a digital thermometer with probe to measure temps like done with beardie vivs? Yes, digital therms and temp guns work the best.
IS a UTH needed at all times or just during winter/cool times of year? At all times, it should be the main heat source. If it isn't getting warm enough, you can add a black reptile light.

SUBSTRATE/VIV DECOR
Can I use non adhesive shelf liner for a substrate?Yup, that's what I use.
Do I need moist moss just in hide and which side of viv does this moss hide go on? I prefer coco fiber or paper towels to moss, personally. Put it half on and half off the heat pad.
Do I need a hide on hot and cool sides?Yes.

Can they misted in their tanks?No, just mist the inside of the humid hide.
Do they need baths?Only is they have shedding issues.
What time of night is best to feed them?Evening.
What time of night are they most active?Evening/night/early morning.
Do they brumate/hibernate at any time during the year?Most of them don't, but females usually go off food in the spring for breeding season.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Jess you are awesome! I saw this thread and literally thought, I wonder if Jess is online? I'm at work and this was so much to answer. But you got it done. :blob8:

Leos are awesome lizards. I love to watch them walk. :D

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your response, Jess! :) I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. It really helps a lot.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Original Poster
All the info that was given was very helpful, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a leo at the Steel City Reptile Expo which is a week from this Sunday.
But I just had a few questions concerning the UTH, but not a bunch like my first post. :)

Any recommendations on good brands of a UTH?

Do I cover the bottom completely with the nonadhesive shelf liner or do I only cover it to where the UTH would be? I just wasn't sure if with that being underneath the cage if that side needed to be bare for the heat to go through. Just want to make sure that it is safe for the gecko.

Thanks for the help and if there is anything else that anyone would like to add I will take any advice. :)

I have made a list of all the things I will need. As far as feeders, I am thinking mealworms and other varieties of worms that were mentioned to me earlier.

Jess

Extreme Poster
You're welcome! :mrgreen: Go for it, they are much lower maintenance than beardies!

Cover the whole tank in the shelf liner, the UTH will be able to heat through it easily. But it VERY important to have a good thermostat, so keep that in mind! It makes sure that the temps stay exactly how you set them, and prevents the UTH from overheating and burning your leo.
I like the Zoomed under tank heaters pretty well. So far my favorite cheaper thermostat is the Hydrofarm one. You can find it on Amazon for $30.

And here is Stanley's 15 gallon as an example of a setup for you. It's pretty basic. Hot side is on the left, cool side is on the right. You can see all the little hides and stuff he has.

DSC02947.jpg

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
i have been thinking about getting a Leo thought I would scope out care an such here glad I did! There is an expo coming up in Aug, plenty of time to collect all the things I need. Hoping to find a suitable tank on CL for cheap.
Few questions if you guys don't mind me asking in this tread.

What size tank is the minimum for one adult Leo?
Do they need a water dish? If so, does it need to be big enough for them to climb in?

OP did you end up getting one? If so I would love to see pictures! 8)

thanks.

Jess

Extreme Poster
The minimum is technically a 10 gal tank, but IMO a 20 gal long is a much better size, considering you need 3 hides plus other climby things! I just have tiny water dishes for mine. They don't really soak in it, but I've seen both my geckos drink out of theirs.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
thanks for such a fast response!!! I was reading that 10gal was min but I thought that seemed small that why I asked. 20gal sounds much better to me too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom