Leopard gecko eating strangely

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanyque

Hi everyone -
I have a leopard gecko, female, about 10 years old. I bought her from someone and she said the gecko was less than a year when I got her (I can't verify this... the shop she's from was known to be very wrong with their info). For the longest time she was a VORACIOUS eater. she'd eat and eat and eat anything I'd put in her cage. Then I gave her to my little sister and my father really messed up her housing. I found out several years later, she never had a heat light and he'd taken to only feeding her meal worms once a week. I've since reclaimed her. She has proper temps and was doing well for a few months, shedding better and eating crickets like she used to (fattened her up a bit with some pinkies early on). However, in the past month, her eating habits have gotten odd. She won't touch crickets. She'll only eat meal worms, and then, only if I drop them in, one at a time a couple inches away from her. Every once in a while she gets one that she just keeps lunging at and missing, over and over and over again. She's also pooping just fine as well, so no reason to suspect impaction.

I'm getting concerned because I know that mealworms are not a good primary diet for leos. she has a calcium dish that she uses regularly (I'm ashamed to say that I didn't use one until about a month ago - she wouldn't eat anything that I dusted so I just gut loaded everything and she seemed fine. But as soon as I put the calcium in her viv she was using it that night). She has a water bowl, and a hide. She doesn't have much else, because, due to bad living conditions before me, and while my father had her, she's lost most of her toes in sheds, so she can't really climb.

At any rate, can anyone shed any light on her eating changes? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

Jess

Extreme Poster
What type of heating do you have for her? Does she have a humid hide?

Older geckos might not be able to see an well too, so she might need a little help with her food. I have a 15 year old male, and mealworms seem to be too small for him to see very well. He always misses smaller feeders, and never even notices them in the first place. He goes nuts over superworms though, and he can see them well enough that he eats them on his own.

I always have to use tongs to feed him dubia or crickets though, because those are just way too fast for him. I'll make the bug "run" so he still gets a little thrill from the chase LOL. His previous owner just dumped crickets in his cage and left them, and he could only eat the ones that had already died. :( Since I've started hand feeding him and making sure he catches his food, he has put on 10+ g.

nanyque

Original Poster
I have a ceramic heat emitter and a heat pad. I tried dubias (since that's what my beardie gets) and she wasn't even remotely interested. I put a humid hide in when she's in shed, but otherwise it stays out because she never goes in it and we have pretty high humidity here in general.

I don't know if she's losing her sight or not. She sees them, she just seems to lazy to go after them. The crickets didn't even interest her, and I tried a pinky and she walked up to it, licked it, and walked away. I guess I'll just keep going with the worms. Fatty food is better than no food, right? The only other thing I can think about is withholding her food so she's hungry enough to eat something better for her, but then i feel like a bad gecko mum. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom