Golden Gecko-lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have an adult Golden gecko that is about 4 years old. He was under a Reptiglo 5.0, then I found Zoo Med Naturesun, which he reallly loves, even though he's nocturnal. Now I'm not sure if he should be under that or back under Reptiglo 5.0. He has a great appetite, loves baby roaches, so I'm not having to deal with crickets anymore. He has a fig tree that I keep cut down and spray a few times a day for humidity & also a large water dish that I keep full, to add humidity, he's in a mesh tank so has a 45W black light on the opposite side of the Naturesun to add warmth, plus I keep the living room at least 72F at night & 75F during the day. He seems to enjoy the Naturesun, as a nocturnal gecko he doesn't really need daylight, but he enjoys it, so I've continued to use one.

Any info would be helpful, he was my husband's gecko, but my hubby passed away last summer & I've taken over his care. I also have 4 adult bearded dragons that I care for, but I know what lights they need. It's just Rocco that I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks
Deb

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
I've never tried my hand with Golden Geckos,so take my info with a grain of salt.From the caresheets I've read,it looks like you're doing everything right.Just make sure the little guy's got humidity as they are tropical geckos,apparently.

Just trying to help ^^;

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I do, I spray his fig tree lots of times during the day (when I'm home) and he has a big water dish that's always full of water. I've attached a pic, he's got a big belly & a huge tail, he's about 8" long. He's very tied to his home, I've left the front screen open & he's never tried to come out.

014.jpg

I don't know if you can see him, he likes to sit on the wet earth that his tree is in.

003-1.jpg

Here's a good pic of his white belly

sweetie2008945.jpg

You can see the gold in him. He's usually a brown/gold with a bit of green.

I checked the care sheets, too, and some said UVB not necessary, as they're nocturnal, some said UVB is good because they may be rain forest animals, but they still get sunlight. I'll keep getting what he's had. He's usually sitting under his light when I get up in the morning, as if I'm late turning his sunlight on. He even let me pet his head the other day, progress. :D

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
Oops.I missed the fig part.My bad. :oops:
And it looks like Rocco's a healthy,happy gecko.A shame this species is rather....obscure.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I know, he's the only one I've ever seen. Leos seem to be the most popular. Even my dragonsitter (Jake is 17), he has cresties & Leos & snakes, he'd never seen a golden gecko & was fascinated by him, as he's bigger than most geckos. He's got a bit tummy, eat alot & has a big tail, too. So I guess I'm doing everything right. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing!
Thanks
Deb

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
Crested Gecko Diet.Several Reptile stores carry it.
CrestedGeckoDiet3.jpg

Or you can find it at your local pet store in a bottle looking like this.
t-rex-repashy-crested-gecko-diet-1068-p.jpg

It was made for Crested geckos,but just about any gecko species with nectar as part of their diet can be fed this as well.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I read that in the care sheet, so put some babyfood apricot out for him & other fruit flavours & he never so much as looked at it. I figure I feed my roaches oranges, so he'll get his fruit that way. I could get some of that food from Jake, he's my dragonsitter (I work an off shift from noon to 8p), so he comes in at 6p to put the dragons to bed (I have 4 males) & turn off Rocco's light, too. He has 4 cresties & he mated his male to one of the females, who laid 2 eggs & they hatched. The babies are doing really well, too. I may try that one day to see, but right how he's enjoying his 10 baby roaches daily (seriously, he eats that many every night). And my roaches are breeding well, so have lots to choose from. My smallest dragon Didi, he's bright orange/yellow with yellow polka dots on his tummy, eats the roaches, too, but the other 3 won't go near them. Even so I still offer them every day.

I have a friend who has 4 dragons, 2 gargoyle geckos, 4 cresties, and a few others, too. I'm going over on Friday to see them all for the first time. I can't wait. I thinks some of the geckos are just so gorgeous & I love cresties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom