Crested/Gargoyle Geckos! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Oh no, they won't stay tiny the first three years, they'll grow during that whole time, but they should be full grown by the time they are 2-3 years. (So about 40 grams +/-... I think gargs average somewhere around there unless they are chunkier. ^^))

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Well, I ended up with a little crestie! :) He was hatched Oct 2011, and I got him from Garrick DeMeyer. He is a little pin stripe and he weighs a tiny 13g! I'll change that in no time though! :lol:
Someone beat me to the only garg at the show (also from Garrick), but I guess that gargs really enjoy pooping on people so I just went with this little guy instead. He was the only one that actually let me hold him- The others were complete spazzes LOL.

What is CGD supposed to look like when it's mixed? It looks very liquidy, but it smells really good!

I'll upload pics soon. I'm thinking of naming him Oliver/Ollie.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Awww, congrats!! And 13 grams isn't THAT tiny. XD My friend got a crestie from the last expo we went to and he was only 3 grams.

I normally mix my CGD so it's a thicker liquid... kinda like a milkshake. ^^ That's how my geckos seem to like it, they don't like it too watery. Every gecko's different though!

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Well, it's tiny to me! My other lizards are all such chunkers LOL.
And I did see him eating some of the CGD already, so I must have done something right. I'll have to experiment with the proportions a little I guess.
Here he is, on our way home from the expo :love5:

0429021236.jpg

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Ohhh wow, he's so cute!!!
Gee, he's got everything! A pinstripe, looks like he's got nice laterals and some small dal spots too! Looks like he's got fair proportioned crests too! ^^
Such a cutey-pie!! <3<3<3

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
His polka-dots are adorable. ^^

Laterals are the white bars/stripes it looks like he's got on his sides. At least from the picture you posted it looks like he's got them. ^^

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ahh OK, yes he does have those!

Here are some more pictures of the little dude!
DSC02939.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

DSC02941.jpg

His current 10 gallon tank. When he gets older he will get something bigger and nicer!
DSC02945.jpg

I have a 15 watt black light on half of his tank, to give him a basking temp of 80*F and the of his tank is 75*F. Is this OK? And are they supposed to do very much during the day? I know they are nocturnal, but he has been in the same spot all day. It's weird to see them sleep with their eyes open!

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
I'd turn off the heat lamp, they don't need a basking spot and do well with temps from 68-75* F, too hot temps, like 80*F and higher can stress them out and ultimately lead to their demise. ='( And he is so adorable. Most people don't approve(breeders) about the longer head, but I LOVE the longer faces as opposed to the shorter heads.
I love his set up, it looks pretty nice, but more fake plants would always do well.. They like about 50-60% of the whole cage covered with leaves so they have plenty of hiding spots to get away from scary open places. :p

And mine always have their same favourite sleeping spots. They do absolutely nothing during the day unless you take them out to bug them. Only at about 11PM do they start to wake up. It is quite odd if you're used to a reptile with eyelids to see the geckos sleep with them open. Have you seen them lick their eyes yet? Normally they will if you spray them with water. And since you have a 10g, it looks like it might be horizontal and it's a glass one with a screen lid? Or am I seeing it wrong in that pic? They do better with vertical tanks, but as long as the [adults] have at least 15" of vertical climbing space, they're fine. So right now your little dude should be good, but he might want something taller when he gets bigger.
But if it's a glass tank with a screen lid, you might want to mist his cage 2-4X a day. Babies need more humidity than adults. I generally give my gecko's cages a good soak at night and that's it, but that seems to be what works for them. I give three of my six water dishes because those three actually use them.
Theyr'e SUPER easy to take care of once you get the hang of it. ^^ Thought I'd just give you some tips though

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Oh ok, I turned it off! I wasn't 100% sure whether or not they needed a temp gradient, and the breeder mentioned putting a low watt light on him.
Is his head a different shape than normal? I have no idea what the typical head shape is, but I thought he looked kind of bobble-head like!
And I plan on getting a 18x18x18 Zoomed tank at some point. I don't have enough horizontal space to set the 10 gal on end now though. I'll add more plants tomorrow, and mist him a little more!

Haha, I did see him lick his eye balls! Cresties are strange little creatures.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Yeah, they don't need a temp gradient at all .^^
No, not different, I've seen ones with long heads and snouts like yours and also ones with short heads and snouts as well. It all depends on genetics(maybe, crestie genetics are too messed up for them to be THAT reliable) and incubating temps. ^^
Yeah, that'll be plenty enough of room for an adult. And like I said, for now the 10 gal is fine vertical.

The best thing about these guys is that they're rather sturdy critters from the moment they hatch to adult-hood! Pretty forgiving when it comes to mistakes in husbandry too. Tons of fun though! My first type of reptile was a crestie, though I really just recently started to really appreciate them for what awesome critters they are! Have fun with him!

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help!

So, two more food questions LOL...

Where is the best place to put his CGD dish? I had it on his little platform, but I wasn't sure if he could find it so I moved it to the ground by his favorite corner.

And how do I offer him bugs? In a separate container? Dubia like to hide under the paper towels, so I can't just release them in his cage. Will he eat them out of a dish?

BTW, I don't think he likes spraying! I misted him last night when he came out to explore, and he turned around a retreated right back to his corner. :roll:

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
I normally do have their food on the floor, but they'll eat from anywhere really, as long as you keep the food in the same spot. And he might not eat for a week or two for you as he's settling in, so just offer fresh CGD every 2 or 3 days and the dubia once or twice a week. Do you have calcium and vitamin to dust them with? Stuff without much D3 is best and I recommend and use this and all my geckos like it with their buggies: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/calcium-plus-all-in-one-supplement.html

When I feed bugs, normally I just have the bugs in a critter keeper or a different feeding container so I can shake them all up in the dust and my geckos will all eat from tongs, so that's how I feed them bugs, but Kess and Beast will also chase them if you put them in a container with bugs. He will eat them out of a dish if he knows they're there!! I've done that before when trying to get my male Dagger used to eating bugs. He was tong and feeding container shy so I just put the crix(you can use dubia of course) in a small glass dish I got from the dollar store and he ate them like that for awhile.

Aw, about the spraying, he'll get used to it. You don't have to spray him directly either, it might surprise them, just give the whole cage a nice misting at night. It bumps the humidity up enough for them and they also have a chance to drink off the leaves and sides of the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom