Hubby rescued leopard gecko who was starved and has eye prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will go buy those drops today. The pet store gave us a tube of ointment that the vet gave them to use on the eyes. I soak him once a day and apply the ointment. I will keep doing my research and asking around. Thanks everyone for the support.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I have a disclaimer that I have never used any ointment or drops in a reptile's eyes but from a human standpoint, ointments can build up and crust, so YEAH I bet the turtle drops in between ointment applications would greatly benefit the little guy.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Heres an update on Lucky....he is gaining about a gram a day, his tail is getting fatter. We had a decent vet visit today and Luckys prognosis looks good but his worst eye may not recover from the damage of the built up shed. We will be going to the vet every two weeks until the eye issues are cleared up and until his weight is more stable. I'm just happy that it appears he is going to live. I've grown very attached to him.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
You are an angel! Going to the vet every 2 weeks - a lot of people wouldn't do that for a reptile. Thank you for the update. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I felt so bad for Lucky when I first saw the pictures. I'm impressed his tail is already fattening up - you haven't had him for that long, either. Hooray!!!!!

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Our reptiles are just as important as our children. I will go to any lengths to make sure my babies are healthy and happy. Im very happy he is already getting fatter.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, what a rescue you picked up. Poor guy, I hope he makes a full recovery.
What is the vet doing for his eyes to help them out? The one eye looks like he will be blind in it but if he can get past this rough area, he will be fine with vision in just one eye.
I am glad to see him getting better now.

Tracie

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The vet has us just using warm paper towels soaks over his eyes and baths daily. There was an ointment that was being used but apparently this ointment was causing a lot of the crust on the eye. His eyes are making improvements but it is taking much longer than I anticipated. He is still gaining one to two grams a day and eating well. He is starting to react when I put something in his vision and the vet saw this too so we are hopeful.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
The fact that he is eating is excellent. I agree ointments in the eyes can cause too much crusting and can be unsanitary with debris sticking to the eye and complicating his recovery. I learned a lot about that with a horse that had a severe corneal scratch. Combatting the crusting and the debris was a real issue and as long as you are not treating an infection, the ointment can do more harm than good. Now, with an actual eye infection, many times using an antibiotic ointment is unavoidable.

I'd love to see a pic of him and see how much more fattening up he has done. :blob5: There is a gecko in a local herp shop that is quite skinny that I have been looking at and wanting to foster and fatten up. I can't keep him, but I could foster him for a little while. Hearing how fast you got Lucky into better condition has encouraged me to help this guy out. So thanks for posting this thread and keeping it updated. We all learn from each other. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom