New owner of leopard geckos

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
So my children decided they wanted these 2 beautiful female leopard geckos. One is a tangerine and one is a tangerine snow. The tangerine is 3 yrs old and the tangerine snow is 1 yrs old. I have them in a 55 gal tank with 2 seperate hides on the cool side, a food dish and water dish in the middle and on the warmer side I have 2 humidity hides which I made out of plastic containers. They seem to be eating about 6 meal worms each at night and they are utilizing the humidity boxes nightly as well. Is a 55 gal really too big for them? Are meal worms really okay for them? I have under the tank heaters and red heat lights on top. I am using the reptical 5 times a week but do not know what the other vitamin is that they need? Also do they climb? Should I put some vines or something in there for them to climb on? These babies came from a breeder so they are not used to being handled so we are holding them once or twice a day until they are more comfortable with being held. As of right now the kids cannot hold them because they will not sit in my kids hands at all lol. I find them to be beautiful and interesting but I'm so inexperienced as I have been into beardies for the last few years. I will get pics and post them tonight but was hoping for any tips to make sure I am properly taking care of these girls and making them as happy and healthy as my beardies are. Also, are they as fragile as they feel?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Congrats on your leos! I have one leo and she is 8 months old. I got her when she was 3 months old. The 55 gallon is not too big for them. Feeding mealworms is fine but as a staple I would feed crickets. I feed my leo 1/2 inch crickets several times a week. Leos love to hunt and they enjoy chasing crickets. Mealworms are not that much fun and not as nutritious.

I think my leo would like a lizard ladder, but I don't see her doing well climbing any vines. I'm not sure about that. They like to hide most of the day and will hide/explore/move from hide to hide at night.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for this information! I'm going to order crickets tonight for them! My 2 wander on and off all night too but I never see them attempt to climb anything lol. So when you feed yours crickets your just putting a few in there and leave them for the night or how do you do it? I do not forsee mine eating when I want them to lol but instead eating when they are ready to.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I put them in at night, and I put about 15 of them. She will eat about 10 pretty fast and then pick the rest off a little slower. The 1/2 crickets haven't ever injured her being left in her viv. I usually feed her before 9pm. When I put the crickets in there she immediately focuses on them and starts to hunt them down.

It has taken daily handling and quiet patience to tame her, too. A few months worth of that and she has slowly improved and we have a good time with her. :D

I truly believe her skin is very sensitive and we touch her lightly and not too much.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for when the crickets come in I will try that. Here are some pics of my girls.
This is the tangerine one my kids named her this morning but I forgot what they decided on ugh. She is almost done shedding.
cellpics1403.jpg

cellpics1401.jpg

cellpics1397.jpg

This is Celeste she is the tangerine snow. She has what looks like paw prints on her back.
cellpics1400.jpg

cellpics1390.jpg

cellpics1389.jpg

They both are so unique and beautiful, I am glad we decided to let the kids get them.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
What beautiful girls! I have a female leo, no special morph. It sounds like you have a really nice setup for them. The only advice I have is for handling - just be careful you don't restrict their tails when you're holding them. If they feel as though they might be trapped by their tail, they will drop it. It won't do them any permanent harm, but I understand that it's fairly bloody and would probably be a bit traumatic for your kids! :D My girl likes to climb up my arms and wander around on my shoulders. I handle her regularly and she's very good with it. Congrats on your gorgeous leos!

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Jaspers Mom thank you so much for letting me know that!! I will have to be very careful of that and let my son know too lol.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Oh she is right about the tails. I have seen leos after they regrow their tails and they grow into a weird black stump. Not as pretty as it was before the accident.

Also leos store fat in their tail, so a nice, fat tail is a good thing. :mrgreen:

Jess

Extreme Poster
They are adorable! I love my leos, they are such funny little guys/girls. It's nice that you have a huge tank for them too.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are not as active as my beardies but they are absolutely sweet and adorable! I do love holding them and they seem to listen to me when I'm talking to them in a sweet voice like they are curious. My kids adore them! I am careful with not letting my 7 yr old them yet until they are more comfortable with being held because I do not want them dropped or running away but I do let them pet them while I hold them. They are interesting little things and I cannot wait to learn more about them and watch them become more social.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom