Chirp?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Okay so I'm incredibly confused :dontknow: My leopard gecko Lulu makes that chirping sound sometimes when I soak her, and sometimes when she's running around my bedroom exploring. She also made it once when I had to help her get the shed off a few of her toes, this was actually the first time I heard it. I think it's so adorable :love5: and it sounds like a happy little expression. Now comes the confusion, I've researched it quite a bit :study: and still am not clear on whether it's a positive expression, or negative? Some say it's a noise they make when they are afraid, don't like the way they're being handled, or anger. While others say it's a happy noise, like they're amused or enjoying what's happening. I want to lean towards the happy side. Lulu is new to me, she's 2 years old, at first of course she was skittish and unsure about us. Well she was taking her time warming up to me until her shed. When we were helping her get the shed off her toes, and she chirped she seemed relaxed. She didn't struggle at all and was extremely patient, after that she lost all insecurities and now is excited to see me etc... So please weigh in and let me know what your thoughts on the matter are, or where I can find a clear straight forward answer :mrgreen:

-Kaleen

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
My experience is that it's an expression of fear. The first time I heard it I was at a reptile show and I opened a baby gecko's deli cup and touched it and it chirp-screeched at me. :shock: I freaked - didn't expect that. Didn't buy it either. :lol: :lol:

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i think i read somewhere that they chirp when they are happy. i wouldnt worry about it as long as shes not showing signs of stress or trying to get away.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yea it was definitely not a screeching sound, what Lulu made was a chirp, almost sounded like water dripping. She was not squirming or trying to get away at all. I want to believe it was a happy sound.

-Kaleen

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hahaha It really is a cute little sound. The first time I heard it, I really did think there was water dripping somewhere, but nope it was my Lulu! She's never made another sound, definitely never screeched, I've heard it and seen it on youtube and I was also freaked out. I would hate to hear that noise!

-Kaleen

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
I've only heard Echo squeak, not chirp. She sounds like a mouse when she does it and she only does it occasionally when she doesn't like something, like being held too long. :mrgreen: She's quite the diva now!! :lol: And she's really starting to like being held and played with now.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yayyy! That's great she likes to be held and played with. I'd love to see some new pics of her.

-Kaleen

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
Kaleen - If I get a chance tomorrow (Friday) after I get home from the doctor, I'll post some new pictures here of her and her 20 gallon tank. Stopping after the gastro doctor to pick up some stuff for Echo and Draco if my sister is up to it. She had a tooth pulled on Wednesday and was in some pain. Now she has a cold. Uggh! :|

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
A chirp from a gecko is a happy noise (and sometimes a mating noise if you have an adult male). A screech or a hiss is an angry gecko and it is easy to tell them apart. There is a leopard gecko at work that just hates when we spritz the tank with water and he comes out, opening his mouth wide and screeching at us the entire time. Even if he was under the coco house or the carpet, he comes up just to make a big stink about it. :lol:

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Aww he's a grumpy gecko. haha I'm in total agreement that the chirp noise Lulu does is a happy noise. Mostly because she always does it in a good situation, and she's never struggling or trying to get away. I've heard a gecko screech before and it was horrifying to me :shock: There's a definite difference between the two noises, fortunately Lulu has only made chirping sounds so far.

-Kaleen

Draxx

My Crested Gecko occasionally barks/chirps to get my attention..usually when his food dish is a bit low. It amuses my wife a great deal and really freaks out my beagle lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom