Thinking of a Gecko Update 31/10/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
I have everything but the under tank heating pad and a hidey. I'm still undecided though. Just a question.
How much do Gecko's eat? The only reason why Im asking this is my beardie Draco is eating me out of house and home. I have to think of the financial end of this. How many crickets ect a day as a baby and adult. And other worms and things? I'm buying on average about 50 crickets a week for Draco, my beardie.
Is there any good caresheet that you would recommend. I don't buy on impulse. I have to be very sure I can do this financially. I have a dog and an aquarium to support too. Any help would be appreciated. Just doing my research here. :study: :mrgreen:

bebop845

My 2 year old leopard gecko boy eats around 15-20 crickets every other day. occasionally we will give him some sort of worms as a treat. He's a pretty small guy so he doesn't seem to need any more (he's actually been gaining some weight lately on that many) so we've been honestly trying to give him a few less.

My boyfriends female leo eats the same but she's kinda chunky compared to my male.

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
If you're talking about Leos,they're not quite as much of food gluttons as Beardies.
As for Cresties....well from what I've read,Crested Gecko Diet will do just fine.

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Getting a gecko on Monday. It's a color morph of the leopard gecko. It's called a calico gecko and is about 2 months old. I'm all set up and excited. :mrgreen: :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: Guess I'll have to add a picture to my signature. :D Too young to know if it's male or female. So I need help with gender neutral names??? :mrgreen: Any suggestions!!! I was thinking something Harry Potterish.

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His/Her tank is ready. It's not much right now but has all the necessities. :) A work in progress like Draco's was. Here's some pics. If you can think of anything else I need to add please chime in. I'm picking up the UTH when I pick up the gecko later this afternoon. :blob5: :blob8:
gecko001.jpg

gecko002.jpg

Rather dull eh!! :roll:

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dracosmommy":u9tr31q9 said:
I have everything but the under tank heating pad and a hidey. I'm still undecided though. Just a question.
How much do Gecko's eat? The only reason why Im asking this is my beardie Draco is eating me out of house and home. I have to think of the financial end of this. How many crickets ect a day as a baby and adult. And other worms and things? I'm buying on average about 50 crickets a week for Draco, my beardie.
Is there any good caresheet that you would recommend. I don't buy on impulse. I have to be very sure I can do this financially. I have a dog and an aquarium to support too. Any help would be appreciated. Just doing my research here. :study: :mrgreen:
Sorry I boo booed. :oops: Just ignore this.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
1st of all, u dont need any sort of heater, they live great at room temp. Also u need vines and leaves to hide in, they are arboreal, They are rarly on the ground so he/she probably wont use thouse hide alot, Just scratch the heater and buy some vines with haging leaves/plantes and u will be good:D

Tirnanog

mrgoogls":1pkaahf1 said:
1st of all, u dont need any sort of heater, they live great at room temp. Also u need vines and leaves to hide in, they are arboreal, They are rarly on the ground so he/she probably wont use thouse hide alot, Just scratch the heater and buy some vines with haging leaves/plantes and u will be good:D

That is so horribly far from the truth. Leos need belly heat to digest, UTH is perfect. Leos are not arboreal. They will use the hides! :roll:

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
sosososososo sorry guys. i was thinking crested geckos. not leos. leos do indeed need the heat. sosososooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry for the confusion and thank you for correcting me

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Dracosmommy":21gc7wce said:
His/Her tank is ready. It's not much right now but has all the necessities. :) A work in progress like Draco's was. Here's some pics. If you can think of anything else I need to add please chime in. I'm picking up the UTH when I pick up the gecko later this afternoon. :blob5: :blob8:
gecko001.jpg

gecko002.jpg

Rather dull eh!! :roll:

Looks like a nice little set up for him/her! My beardie setup isn't too beautiful either but he's more of an animal I can interact with than a "display" animal (My tropical critters are another matter though. My tanks are crazy!). Geckos don't eat as much as beardies by a long shot. Geckos also make little noises to let you know how they are feeling so don't be alarmed if you hear a little hissing/strange noise when you try to handle it. We have a little cranky one at work that will fuss and fuss if water touches him. A happy gecko will sometimes chirp as well and just wait until you see the "hunting" tail movement. You will crack up. :lol:

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have heard her squeak like a mouse. It's soooo cute. Since those last pictures Echo has moved into a 20 gallon long tank. It use to be Draco's but he's moved into a 40 gallon zilla breeder tank. Both are extremely happy now. I need to update the pictures for my gecko. She's doubled in size too. Other than crickets, waxworms, and mealworms, what else can she have to eat? Should I be bathing her once a week like I do my beardie? Just some questions I still have. :mrgreen:

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Hey Rosanne, I don't know a whole lot about geckos, but I've read that it is ideal to bathe them once a week. I've been doing that for Lulu and she seems to enjoy it, she even knows what it means as soon as I bring her tub in the room. She comes out of her hide and is ready for bath time! As far as what else they can eat, that's a great question and I'd love to know as well.

-Kaleen

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
They can eat pretty much any worm a juvy beardie would eat. I dont like to feed mine mealies or supers because of the chitin, but I do occasionally feed my adults those. Roaches and Crix can also be given. Just bear in mind the size of the bugs, I try not to feed anything bigger than a pinkie. I do feed my adult breeding pair pinkies about every other day. Pinkies are great for extra nutrition and weight gain.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I mainly feed mine dubia roaches. Stanley gets super worms, and I think I'm going to switch Stella to those now since she is getting bigger.

I don't bathe mine unless they are having issues shedding. I've had to soak Stan a number of times, and it really freaks the poor little guy out!

Dracosmommy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I wish I could get dubia's but they are illegal in Canada here. :roll: I don't think even if I could get them that I could handle them because of my bug phobia. Especially to beetle type bugs. :shock: I have another question though. I do have an uth but since moving Echo to the 20 gallon long I'm having problems with keeping the tank temps to acceptable levels. The uth did the trick in the 10 gallon. Can I get a dome lamp and use some sort of heat bulb to bring up the temps? I need something that can run all day and night as the room I have her in tends to get coolish now that the cold weather is here. Also in the summer I keep it cool with the central air. Good ole menopause!! :mrgreen: :lol: And what is the ideal temp the tank should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom