Leo will stop at nothing to try and eat my right hand.

Have questions or comments about these cute little guys?

Leo will stop at nothing to try and eat my right hand.

Postby HippieLizards » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:31 pm

So as the name suggests, it seems that lately before and after I'll go to feed Flinky he will always bite my right hand, Not in a defensive way but a hunting way.

He is a VERY eager eater but he sometimes has a problem distinguishing fingers from food. He'll snap out of his crazy dinosaur mode after a bit and calm down but it makes taking him out of the feeding bin a lot more interesting.

But is this a normal thing? Has Anyone else's Leo's had a hard time distinguishing fingers from prey items?

Also, He is 6" and 15 grams when I last weighed and measured him, is that a good size and weight? I'm guessing he's around 3-4 months old or so. And also he probably would be longer but he has a regrown tail, And I got him like that so his tail is a bit smaller and stubbier than the typical leopard gecko tail.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, a Ball Python, two Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Re: Leo will stop at nothing to try and eat my right hand.

Postby Deabrua » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 pm

I have a bearded dragon rather than a Gecko, but during the times she was fed super worms or BSFL she would nip at my pinkie by mistake at times. I'd guess to them it could easily be mistaken.
Deabrua
Hatchling Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:11 am

Yeah, probably. I guess the movement just excites them.
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, a Ball Python, two Betta fish, and a Cat. (R.I.P Thor & Cisco, You two will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Look up StickyFrogs on Instagram and you'll see the same sort of thing - they get super excited at feeding time, and they seem to be WAY uncoordinated, so they often chomp (soft mouths) on their human's hand and fingers. (Bonus - it's a fun account to follow) :0)
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby Linzloohoo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Yes when my Leo is hungry she will go after anything put near her lol. He is just excited and hungry, and like mentioned they don’t have the best coordination. I wouldn’t worry about it. He looks like a good size, I’ve honestly never weighed my Leo, I go by the fatness of her tail. His tail looks nice and fat even if it is a regrow.
Linzloohoo
Newbie Poster

Postby Linzloohoo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 pm

[Click image to enlarge]

Our rexi
Linzloohoo
Newbie Poster

Return to Geckos