gecko housing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
In Sept. I rescued 2 leopard geckos from someone who had them in a little 10g tank with 1 hide , a small heat light and had them on wood chips for bedding. At the time they had them since March and 1 had lost it's tail(re-grown now.)
I put them into a 40g with 4 different hides, tile flooring, calcium/vitamin dish, crickets or supers daily. The question I have now even though they seem to "get along" I know I need to separate them, seeing as I rarely see one of them. So I was looking at picking up two 18x18x18 or 18x18x12 terrariums but not sure if that would be big enough for full-grown Leo's. Would I be better off getting something different?

Lazarus16

Hello,
My name is Keli, my husband and our 2 boys have 2 Leps, they r both female. We got them when they were babies, they have lived together ever since in a 20 long. They have a humid hide where a Moss is kept moist and warm and cool hide that they can climb on or in with an area for water. We use a carpet substrate made for reptiles. Also they eat only dubia roaches. Crickets can carry disease and if left in cage may eat at ur reptiles.
You can check during sunset or sunrise to see if they r in same hide. But the 1 that had tail regrowth could be the other gecko. Also if being housed together 2 females is the best combo. Any other combo can likely lead to trouble.
U can check page if ud like to see.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply,
I found out that they were 1 male and 1 female. So I ended up getting 2 10g tanks for now and once I re-arrange the room they'll go to 20g with more stuff to climb or hide in.

Lazarus16

Hi I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner! At least now you know the genders and great job of being responsible I wish more people would be. Leo's actually get overwhelmed in large enclosures so when housed alone 10g are actually ok. It's just preference if u want to go with 20g. The 20s do make it easier to create the cool side tho. I would definitely suggest placing a humid hide in each. All you need is some moss that you keep moist and a heat source. We use a small UTH under that particular hide and then a CHE as main heat source. Also leave a dish of calcium in the enclosures so if they need it, they have access to it. Depending on where you live if you are able would also recommend feeding dubias over any other insect. One last thing is to make sure to have a fresh water source available.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I actually have a large UTH that I split be tween the 2 tanks. Keeping their respective warm sides approx 89f. They each have dishes of water, calcium and vitamins. As well as warm hides , moist hides. I tried cool hides but it got a little crowded and they seem to always be in the warm ones unless they are shedding.
I just got a bug mix order and one loved the horn worms and the other wouldn't touch them. So, i split them with my beardie. Didn't get dubia (family is terrified they'll escape like the crickets. lol) but I got the 3 week crickets , small supers , wax worms and calci-worms. The male is always looking for food at night but the female is real lazy the last week or 2 but not too worried atm because we've been in the middle of one snow storm after the next. She's got a nice healthy tail and she does eat just 4-5 supers where he eats 8-10.
The female has always been about 1/2 the size of the male. I'm not sure if its genetics or she was stunted. She's a bell albino and he's just a normal.

Lazarus16

Sounds like you have it figured out perfectly! I fully understand what your family fears about the dubias lol. Took a while for us to accept the roaches too. Probably would have never happened if one day we didn't have anything, for at that time our baby beardie. My husband drove all over Chicago and no pet store had anything but supers. So after about 6hrs and 15 stops finally came home with dubias (no other choice). Now we breed them and have thousands lol. If they ever escaped they could not survive more then 24hrs so there is no threat of infestation. Even in summer months. Sounds like you live in a similar climate. Be careful with crickets since they carry disease and can be deadly if they eat enough of them. Crickets were responsible for my husbands 5ft iguana dying (at least that was reason vet gave after he was crazy enough to pay for autopsy) so we will never feed to any of our reptiles. Glad you have them stable and safe if you have any questions and myself or my husband can answer them we would be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom