Tail 'kink'??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an iguana thats 1.5years old..and i just got him about 2months ago

i eventually noticed that he has a kink in his tail, about 2-3inches from the begging of his tail...I hear this is from tail breaks? I was also wondering if there was a way i could fix this?

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
if you have a pic that would be great. If you can get a picture from several angles and a full size pic so I can see where it is on the tail.

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
It looks like a possible fracture to me. Is it painful? Can you move it or is it rigid? If it is rigid it may be a fracture that occured when he was younger and healed crooked, It also could be signs of Metabolic Bone Disease, which is a calcium deficiancy. Be sure he gets plenty of calcium, and be sure he has a UV light that is no older then 6 months. and also be sure there is no plastic or glass between the bulb and your iggy. If he had a previous fracture, or a calcium deficiancy he needs as much calcium and D3 as you can give him.

cellardoor27

Original Poster
good to know...well he has a uvb 5.0 i think..thats what the pet store recommended for tropical repts....and when hes bored he usually climbs right in front of it. i bought it less that 2months ago.

i usually put calcium drops in his water, and i feed him spring mix with squash (but he doesn't really like it), prickly pear, cucumbers, sometimes cilantro and i was feeding him these little kibble things that the previous owner gave me, only because he really liked them, but i only gave him like a teaspoon a day. and ill try feeding him other things here and there.

and it seems like he can move it just fine, no pain or anything. although I don't know what he'd do if it really did hurt. i tried putting a bit of pressure on it once to see if i could make a splint to fix it and he didn't snap on me or anything. ill get around to takin him to see a vet when i have more cash.

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
Carefull if it is a fresh fracture, they don't always heal well. Be prepared for a possible amputation. Our oldest, Ig Monster broke her tail last year, and we ended up having to amputate it (the vet thought it was best) because it did not heal properly. Here are some pics:
100_2831.jpg

100_2832.jpg

Here you can see where the below the break, it started to rot.
100_2961.jpg

After the amputation: (my poor baby)
100_3006.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wanted to weigh in on your discussion. Which "5" bulb do you have & how old is it?
I do not think that is strong enough for him to be getting adequate UVB emissions. They require very high amounts of UVB to help them absorb calcium & to synthesize D3 as well.
Try getting either a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, or a mercury vapor bulb from T-rex active UV heat or the Megaray.
That kink is due to not enough UVB exposure & lack of calcium absorption.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom