New Iguana!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got myself an iggy about a month ago now, and She(I hope!), is doing farr better than she was when i received her.
When I got her, she was in a 40gallon tank with nothing really to climb on, and it was pretty plain. She had a huge disliking for any human contact, and would constantly tail whip anyone who tried.
Since then, we stood up her 40 gallon, added some trees to climb, and bought her a hammock..Well, she NEVER wants to leave her new home
I followed the ideology of showing her that "I'm the boss!", and she's warmed up alot more (but never wants to leave her viv)...Is this normal for most Igs?

She's also chilled out a heck of alot since i brought her for a car ride to the pet store, where I was surprised to see that she'd let the clerks touch and hold her! (I made sure the ladies who had crazy experience were working)

But yeah, I was just wondering if anyone else has the issue of their Ig never wanting to leave their home, as well as their growth speed vs. age.
She's 1.5 years old and is 18inches in length (1.5m)
I know that when i got her, she was skeptic, and I'm not 100% sure on how the previous owners handled them, but my boyfriend beileves their kids may have prodded and poked a bit too much

here is a picture!
img1349hu9.jpg

img1811fj9.jpg

img1833oy7.jpg

img1832qm9.jpg

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
She is very cute! About the right size for a 1 1/2 year old iggy. It is ok for them to want to stay in their habitat if they like their habitat. Careful with the soil in the bottom of the habitat, Iguanas get impacted easily. They do great with carpet. Have you had her sexed yet? She is too young to be able to tell what sex she is without probing her.

cellardoor27

Original Poster
Nope, I havn't had the time to get her sexed..She has those glands by her legs..but its also hard to tell cuz they look like they're popping out..but they don't at the same time. And because she moves so much its hard to get a good look.

And yeah the soil wasn't my idea..My boyfriend thought it would be cool to plant a garden with corn and basil and lettuce....but that only lasted 2days until she ate all the sprouts and trampled the corn...But it was nice while it lasted thats for sure!

Here's a video we took not to long ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZUp3ftAI4

it's basically a video of our bed-room ecosystem:)

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
cellardoor27":2cc3b said:
Nope, I havn't had the time to get her sexed..She has those glands by her legs..but its also hard to tell cuz they look like they're popping out..but they don't at the same time. And because she moves so much its hard to get a good look.

And yeah the soil wasn't my idea..My boyfriend thought it would be cool to plant a garden with corn and basil and lettuce....but that only lasted 2days until she ate all the sprouts and trampled the corn...But it was nice while it lasted thats for sure!

Here's a video we took not to long ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZUp3ftAI4

it's basically a video of our bed-room ecosystem:)
She is cute! She is too young to sex though. All iguanas have femoral pores on the insides of the thighs, the males pores will become enlarged during mating season (at about 3yrs of age). Also a side note. The leaves in the beardies water dish.... Just be aware that the leaves of that specific plant are toxic to iguanas. (and possibly beardies too, not enough research has been done with them). So No feeding them to your iggy. Also be cautious with an open air habitat if you do smoke, it has been known to cause upper respitory infections in iggies.

cellardoor27

Original Poster
thanks for the heads up on that! I will definitely try to reduce my smoking in my room to zero (which is going to be a hard task!)
and thanks for the tip about the plants...i actually thought it was non-toxic because i read that the Dracena plant was okay...but i saw a picture and it was completely different than what my plant looks like (weird?)

but for a second i though you were talking about the fake leaves i had in my bearded water dish at one point (they looked like...a 'special' herb), and when you said they were toxic i thought i had a super dragon lol (this coming from the unintentional experiment that went down, and turned my dragon into a veggie loving dragon)

but yeah, definitely thank you for the tips!

TheSmpsnsG85

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry for the confusion, I was actually talking about the fake leaf in the water dish.
That plant is toxic in large amounts, the smoke as well. That is why I mentioned it, in case you smoke weed, not cigs, although cig smoke is not good for them either. Dracenda is fine :lol:

cellardoor27

Original Poster
ook..I completely forgot i posted that video...for a second I was thinking 'how do you knoww...?' lol.
But I'm not sure about your advice though...like I said before..my little guy seems to enjoy those types of organic plants, and he's been fine ever since that surprising instant happened.

but we have avoided having him anywhere near it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom