Care to answer some iguana questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
I've always thought Iguanas were adorable and seen them in pet stores and such, but I never really did any research.
Im just curious, do they make really good pets? Are they social with people?
Iguanas tend to get a reputation of being 'mean', is the assumption true?

Anything you think I should know about Iguanas, please post here. I'm not looking to get one or anything, i'm just curious about their behavior. But who knows, perhaps i'll get one some day.

Thanks!
-CiaraAlexisOnFire

p.s., what do they eat?

MeganKacey

Hatchling Member
It depends on every iguana, honestly. If you take time to tame the iguana(atleast 30 mins a day) there really shouldn't be a problem with him tail whipping or biting. My iggy is awesome. He has never once tried to bite me or tail whip me, but if my boyfriend comes over and tries to get him, he freaks. He starts hissing, and tail whipping his tank...He doesn't like him at all for some reason, I don't know if he can sense that he is a male too or something. But I will not lie, Ive seen some very nasty iguanas too. My aunt had one before and he would not even let her reach her in hand in the tank to feed him.

If you do get one though you have to be prepared for a HUGE tank. When I first got mine, he was in a 55 gallon aquarium, when he reached 2ft I moved him into a 6ft tall, 4ft wide, 4ft deep enclosure. And now he is going to have a whole room(12x10) to himself as soon as I finish it up for him.

He loves going outside, loves exploring in my room, and some nights he is even up for a cuddle before bed. :mrgreen:

I feed my boy collard greens, mustard greens, butternut squash, grapes, "Iguana Bites", and dandelion greens when I can get them. So they can basically eat anything beardies can in their salad.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for answering my questions.
Do you know if the males are typically more agressive? Or does it really just depend on the iguana?
And do they eat insects or anything other than veggies and fruit?

MeganKacey

Hatchling Member
Lol No problem. I had alot of questions before I decided to get one...it took me over a year to actually be comfortable with a lizard that would end up being bigger than me, and taking up alot of free time, and space. After the year went by I decided to just take a look around ended up falling in love with a little baby about 12inches long. He was crazy, he jumped out of the tank and was running around the store. The employees and myself were chasing him all over and once they handed him to me, he was completely calm.
They say that males are more aggressive especially during their breeding season, but since my boy is the only iguana I've had, I honestly dont know much about females. They are probably a little bit easier to tame, maybe, but I think it really does depend on the person trying to tame the iguana and the iguana itself. You just cant be afraid of him/her, and have to start early and slow.
Ive been told that they can eat some insects, every so often...but I haven't tried it, and I dont know how true it is. That would be something to look up. But they are mainly herbivores so dark greens and veggies and fruits all the way. My iguana eats healthier than I do. Lol. :mrgreen:

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Haha, that's a cute story. It seems like with whatever pet I get, theres a heartwarming story about how we got them. That's how you know they were meant to be your pet! :p
Thank you for dealing with my many questions :)

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I owned an Iguana for many years, back in... hmm... 2000ish? Be prepared for a massive animal, they grow very quickly and get very big. I'm talking 5 - 6' long. Before I got rid of him he was in a large dog cage. He had a disease when I got rid of him which caused large tumors to grow on his jaw, which he'd actually tear off against the edges of the cage when they bothered him. I regret not giving him more attention, but he was docile and holdable when I had him. I do miss him a lot.

If you're willing to put the time in every day and allocate enough room for the Iguana then you will love it.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kjinxx2":robc9r0m said:
I owned an Iguana for many years, back in... hmm... 2000ish? Be prepared for a massive animal, they grow very quickly and get very big. I'm talking 5 - 6' long. Before I got rid of him he was in a large dog cage. He had a disease when I got rid of him which caused large tumors to grow on his jaw, which he'd actually tear off against the edges of the cage when they bothered him. I regret not giving him more attention, but he was docile and holdable when I had him. I do miss him a lot.

If you're willing to put the time in every day and allocate enough room for the Iguana then you will love it.

Awe, poor thing. They sound like sweet animals if you tame them. I think i'll definately look into getting an iguana in the future and make sure I know everything and have a big space for them. I dedicate my life to my animals, so I think an Iguana could be a good match for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom