Iguana training

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildheart

All who are owned by an iguana will know just how much effort went into this training. It is almost a year now that Forest roams free in our garden and I have to say that I am incredibly proud of him!
studsmatta.gif
We have huge trees and I am still shocked that his instinct has not got the better of him YET. It took DAILY training, blocking him, turning him around, picking him up and catching all the crocodile rolls etc. etc. I am exhausted just thinking of it again.
confused0064.gif
But he learned, he learned very fast where he was allowed to go and where not, only around the pool, on the stoep by our bedroom, in the 2 separate herb gardens and the garden with the trees are off limits. He is so used to just laying around the pool that the birds walk right up to him and he does not even wink. What happens in this video only happens about 2,3 times a month, he normally remembers to go poop first. I was just lucky that I had the camera with me, I was actually filming my parrot bathing.
photosmile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP02dx-n4yk

I was very stupid and planted fennel in the garden itself, I also took him there for a bite - 2009. I realised that it defeated the whole purpose of training him NOT to go into the garden so I removed the fennel. In the beginning of this month Forest wondered off in the direction of the forbidden garden, I decided to follow him and see what exactly his plan was. He walked straight to where the fennel was planted - right at the back against the wall! He REMEMBERED from more than a year ago!
52221083.gif
... to all iguanas out there!

I also trained him to climb in the bath and poop there when the tunnel door is closed.

Just a reminder, my iguana is not an easy going guy. He always try and dominate me and has a solid will of his own. He trusts me, but I will never trust him (dont let that sound bad). I do LOVE HIM with all my heart.
20f42d74.gif

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Well done!

Your set up for him is fantastic, too. How long did that take to actually plan and finish, or is it a constantly evolving thing?

wildheart

Original Poster
Thanks. :lol:

We had the outdoor cage at our previous house and it took 3 weeks to build there. When we moved we took it with us and it took 2 weekends to put up at the new house. It needs constant maintenance because of weathering thou.

The room took a full month to paint and put the ledges up, Forest was involved in ALL of it. :lol: The trees in his room took months to find because I just did not have the heart to cut down healthy trees. :cry: We eventually found a forest that was burned down and the trees were damaged badly and died. I chose 2 good ones but it was too heavy for me and my husband to lift it onto the trailer so we had to find workers to help us. When we finally got it home we lowered it into the pool and left it there for two weeks to kill all insects. After that it was another week of drying and then hiring people to help us get it into the room. It took 5 strong men to move it! :shock: Forest absolutely LOVED it and it made it worth it!
studsmatta.gif
About a month later I found dust on the carpet - wood boring insects were inside the trees!
154fs232528.gif
This meant we had to hire men again and repeat the whole process of removing the trees and treating it. This time it took two months before I felt save to put it back in his room - it was a very depressing time for him, having trees and then loosing it. :(

It was winter at the time so the the tunnel only started in summer and took 2 weekends to build and put up. The time between the fist picture against his wall and me making the video was 2 years! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom