Help on friend's iguana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a good friend for several years now, and back in December around the same time I bought my baby beardie she was given a baby green iguana for Christmas. I've spent countless hours researching and talking to people about the best way to raise my sandfire Bentley, and now he's a happy healthy plump adult boy pushing 18" and still growing like a weed.

I'm concerned because in the 4+ months we've been reptile owners, her iguana has shown no improvements. He is still the same size and length (baby-sized) and his body looks frail. I held out hope that she would do her research and give her baby all that he needed to live happily, but about a month ago I started interfering to try and help out: I raided Bentley's cabinets and gave her all the extra things we wouldn't need (branches, rocks, fake plants, an extra UV light, a hide box, a water dish, a large ReptiHammock) and her iggy seems to enjoy roaming around them. For the first 3 months she had him, she used a common household bulb as a light source with no UV or heat bulbs to my knowledge, and she was amazed when the iggy instantly perked up and showed some life when I lowered a fresh new heat lamp and UV lamp into the enclosure. There was only a smooth river rock and a food bowl in his 70 gal tank before I donated my stuff. She gives him butter lettuce and iguana pellets daily, and I had to restrain myself from giving a long lecture about proper reptile nutrition so I just wrote out a grocery list of healthy staples for next time she goes shopping. He has more energy but is still an angry iggy and whips everything that moves with his tail.

I need some advice on more I can do to help my friend out. I'm trying to be calm and friendly in doing all this stuff for her, so she doesn't get put-off. Can anyone recommend the best heat and UV lights I can steer her towards? Any good ideas on how to get this poor baby back on track and growing big and strong? :?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Last year I took in a poor iguana who had lived the three years of its life in a 20 gallon long tank. It seemed to be near death when I got it. This poor ig was no where near the size of an adult at the age it was. If I could help that iguana become healthy and find a good home, then I am sure with your help, your friend can get the iguana to perk up.

I also went to the green ig society for help. Better food, a good uvb bulb, room to move around and lots of handling to get them easier to deal with is the key.

Bootz

I use a 75W ZooMed Basking Spotlamp Bulb for heat and ESU Slimline fluorescent fixture that I got a few weeks after I got my Ig. I'm going to be replacing the fluor. bulb soon with a ReptiSun 5.0. At night I have a 100W red halogen spotlight that keeps the temps around 75-ish. I also have a large enough enclosure that I can fill the bottom with moss and put about a quart of water on and it keeps the humidity around 60-65%.****He never goes to the floor of his enclosure, as he is an arboreal lizard. He stays in the top 3'.****

I feed him San Francisco Bay freeze dried veggie mix(when Im in a rush), fresh Romaine lettuce, fresh Kale, grated yellow squash, fresh Collard Greens, Beech Nut sweet potato baby food, BN chaquita banana bf, BN carrot bf, BN green pea bf. I also top his salad off with a Nature Zone Iguana Bites(for appetite stimulation), Calcium fortifier & Vitamin Booster, ZooMed Calcium powder w/D3, and ZooMed Reptivite(multi-vitamin).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom