Yellow ear slider found eaten by ants in front yard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacie

I was coming home and saw what I thought was a big dead turtle in my yard. Not a shocker as people speed down my road. But it was not a land turtle but one a turtle from our local park. It was getting eaten by ants. Then I saw his leg twitch. He had a hook in his face and was frozen to the touch my guess was someone caught him tossed him in their cooler and he fell off the truck. He has a crack on the side of his shell as well. We got the hook out and for now he's In a tank with no water he's on a reptile heat pad and a basking light. I'm misting him with filtered water to make sure he doesn't dry out.

Stacie

Original Poster
Really quick he's awake blinking and walking now. But his front leg won't move. It might be broke.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no poor guy! Does he have any open wounds that you can see? I'd keep him on something soft to minimize impact. A good vet may be able to repair the damage to his shell. I'm not sure if that's the most serious issue or not though.

Stacie

Original Poster
He has a crack in the side of his shell. A hole In his jaw from the hook and I'm worried his front leg is broke.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure how you'd splint the front leg but I would try to minimize movement as much as you can. He will probably need antibiotics while he heals up. If you have some raw honey I would apply it to the wound on his face to help protect it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have some povidone iodine solution you could use to try and clean the wounds a bit? It may help reduce the risk of infection if you can clean him up a bit but I wouldn't do too much to avoid causing too much stress. I'd try to keep him comfortable and bring him to a good vet if you can.

Stacie

Original Poster
it's a full puncture wound on his face and neck.
He also just pooped and there was a couple of dots of blood.

He is also a wild turtle but he's fully awake now and cognitive

thumbnail_img_3869_by_stais-dbc58ff.jpg

thumbnail_img_3870_by_stais-dbc58f9.jpg

Stacie

Original Poster
unfortunately I don't know if I have many reptile vets in my area.
Not a big reptile loving place here.

I called the woman who I buy my beardie's food from she's a reptile store owner and I'm hoping she and her husband can help me reach out to someone who works with rescue animals.

He also has algae all over his shell should I try to clean that off?

Stacie

Original Poster
he's not frantically moving around now; he's bobbing his head a lot though.
he's sort of buldging out the bottom of his throat then again he did have a hook in there. I'm going to let him rest some so he can calm down more and keep checking on him to mist him.

I'll keep a lookout on this thread I'm trying to find any vets that might could help him in my area no luck so far. Most don't even work on the weekends here.

Stacie

Original Poster
I do not have any iodine but I am running to the store to get some now.
Thank you so much for the help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wish I could offer more advice but I have no training and knowledge of turtles. My gut says to clean his wounds, make him comfortable, and try to get the shell repaired though. The blood in the poop is a concern because it may indicate internal bleeding. I don't think there is much to do about that except wait and see if it heals on it's own. Do the best you can, I'm sure he appreciates you giving him a chance. I know I do. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom