urgent-not beardie related-babysitting box turtle-help

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachie

Hey, I was going to put this in the off-topic forum but it looks like that forum may not be checked as often and I kind of need some fast help. I can move it if I need to.

Basically, I need help from anyone who keeps box turtles and knows more about their care requirements, or can direct me to some good online sources. I know better not to trust most of the top results from google, most of the time, when it comes to animal care.

I'm babysitting a female box turtle for two weeks, and I just got her. Her name's Tama. I don't think she's been cared for very well and I'm concerned. The owner didn't give me much information about their usual care practices. Her light burnt out recently so they didn't bring it over. I was kind of tired and didn't think to ask what kind of light that they were using, but I have a spare reptisun 10.0 uvb compact bulb. I took it out of Zisa's viv out of concern for eye damage, but would it be an acceptable temporary light for Tama? My only other option right now is a spare house bulb. The weather's been hot enough that I don't think we'll need to give her too much extra heat.

She has an overgrown beak. I don't know the details of what happened but it injured her face. She was on antibiotics for the injury but is not anymore. I don't know if this injury happened prior to her visit to the vet, or if the vet hurt her by attempting to file it. Another thing I didn't think to ask about, until I did a little reading on the issue. They also have only been feeding her a commercial diet; a box turtle formula from Rep-Cal, and vegetable baby food. I don't know how long she's been on this diet, or if it has anything to do with her beak issue, but it doesn't seem very balanced to me. I will probably end up feeding her other stuff, like the same veggies I give Zisa. Can box turtles eat superworms?

She lives in a nice spacious 2X4 viv, with reptile carpet, has a large shallow water dish and a stone food dish. Other than that, no furniture or decorations. It's pretty bland in there. Will it stress her to put in some of my spare branches and such? I don't know much about box turtle behavior.

I'll take pics tomorrow morning when it's light so you can see her.

The owner's are close friends of my partner and I feel really awkward about the idea of lecturing them on their care practices if it comes to that. They are very nice and intelligent so I'm a little surprised that their husbandry seems so questionable. I want to try and remedy what I can in a two week period so I can show them a better way. Any form of help I could get from someone who knows box turtles would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, would it be best not to let Zisa (my male dragon) and Tama see each other? Will they be able to smell each other from separate rooms? In the same room? Zisa's used to being allowed to hang out with us all over the apartment. Also, I would love to take Tama for short trips outside, because I'm sure it would do her some good to be in the sunshine, but I don't know if she's ever been outside before or if it will seriously frighten her. What do you think?

Sorry there are so many questions, or, again, if this thread is misplaced. I just really want to try and help Tama as best as I feasibly can, and I don't really know where to start.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like you have taken on a project for awhile! :D
Taking her outside would be a great idea, if you have a small playpen type of enclosure to protect her. Plus be sure she can get out of the heat/sun when needed also.
Do you have a water or pool inside of her tank too?
I wouldn't use the compact/coil light as it really is not a good UVB. Sunshine would do more for her than that particular bulb. I think if they are only feeding a commercial diet it is probably imbalanced somewhat with too much phosphorus & not enough calcium. The beak issue may be due to metabolic bone issues which turtles can get somewhat easily.

I will check back on the thread tomorrow. So, go ahead & post some pictures of her & her set up.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom