new red eared slider;questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcarson

I have just recently taken over a red eared slider, that could no longer be cared for by its owner, to go along with my bearded dragon family. i just have a few questions like: what would be the best thing for the bottom of his tank? larger sized pebbles or....? he was found in the wild, and has been a pet for seven years in a twenty gallon tank. if i put him in a larger tank, will he continue to grow or will be forever be this size now? how much water is required to be in the feeder tank? and what are the chances of fish (small, faster fish) surviving in his home with him???

Brieana

Hatchling Member
Hi and congratulations!

First off, large pebbles are fine, but they have to be larger than the turtle's head so he doesn't eat them. My aquatic box turtle had small river pebbles in her tank and ate them all the time when I wasn't looking. I switched her to slate tiles for a while, but now she has a bare bottom tank and she doesn't seem to mind.

How big is the turtle? The claim that a turtle (or any animal) will never grow larger in a small tank is absolutely false. They stay small if they aren't cared for properly. A turtle should have ten gallons for every inch of shell. So lets say you have a female (though it sounds like you might have a male). They grow up to 12 inches, so that's 120 gallons. Anything less is unfair. I think the petco $1 per gallon sale is over with, so check Craigslist an get that baby into a larger tank as soon as you can!
There is a possibility that it may grow more once you're taking better care of it, but it may never reach full potential (unless it is already full grown). Does it have crazy long front claws, or do they seem reasonable in proportion to its body? Males have super long claws.
Another thing to keep in mind is you're going to need a high quality filter graded for twice the size of the tank you have. Example, if I have a 50 gallon tank, I need a filter rated for 100 gallons or more, because turtles are so messy.
Fill the tank up as high as you can and built an above tank basking area (ATBA) to maximize swimming space.

You can put fish in the tank, but always remember, it will be food eventually. RESs are fast and love fish! Don't put goldfish in the tank because they're too fatty. I've also heard stories of turtles turning on Plecos and taking bites out of them, even if they're smaller than the fish. :(

Turtles are amazing, and like beardies, take a lot of work and money to care for properly. But once they're established, they're a relatively cheap pet to maintain and actually can have a lot of personality.
Head over to turtleforum.com to learn more about how to properly care for your new pet. The community is much like it is around here, it's a treasure trove of information.

BerryJames

RES grows quickly in size that's why I think you should look for larger tank..specially in width. Tank decoration depends on the individuals choice but try to avoid things that can fit in the turtles mouth like gravel, sand. Plants would be the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom