Space For Two Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya :)
I'm looking into getting 2 tortoises and I was wondering what the minimum size of an enclosure would be for the pair when they are fully grown.
Obviously, the size of the tortoises would have an impact, but I'm not quite sure what species I'll go for - but I'll probably either go for a pair of Red Foots or a pair of Hermann's.
Thanks! :)

Floof

Juvie Member
Please keep in mind that most, if not all, tortoises do poorly in pairs. Much like beardies, they aren't exactly social animals and do best kept singly. Redfoots are the possible exception, with some showing social behaviors, but even then there are those who don't play well with others and the situation should be watched closely.

Anyway, the problem with pairs is that the dominant tortoise will focus its entire bullying/domination efforts on the single less submissively tortoise. This isn't such a problem with a group, where that negative attention is spread out between 2+ other tortoises, so the submissive torts all at least get a reprieve when the dominant tort's attention is on a different tortoise, but with a pair, that negative attention is directed at the lone submissive tortoise 24/7. That much wear and stress creates a multitiude of problems, ranging from weakened immune system to lethargy to not being able to eat at all due to the dominant tortoise not allowing it. Some people manage to get by with tortoises in pairs, but more often than not, it ends with one tortoise becoming very ill.

For Hermann's tortoises, the bare minimum for one tortoise is 4x2 feet of space. Again, that's absolute minimum. Ideal for any tortoise is as big of an enclosure as you can fit, but for the Hermann's, at least 6x2 feet floorspace.

For the Redfoot, which are usually quite a bit larger, you miht be able to get away with 6x2 or 6x3 feet minimum, with ideal being 8x4 ft or larger.

With either of these, it's best if you can provide a large, secure outdoor enclosure for when the weather is nice.

Now, if you're housing a pair or a group, there are a couple things to consider. Obviously, you need to increase the space of the enclosure. The very largest you can provide is best. There needs to be enough space for many different hiding places and line of sight blocks, such as plants, so they aren't constantly having to look at each other (again, torts are generally solitary). Second, they benefit immensely from multiple everything. Multiple basking spots, a couple different feeding stations, even 2 water dishes, so they don't have to share, and so there's always a back up if one tortoise decides one particular basking spot (or food pile, etc) is his and his alone.

I nearly forgot. If you do decide to try a pair, make sure you have a pair of females. Mature males are especially territorial and may go so far as fighting to the death, and, with a male/female pair, the bullying stress is increased that much more by the male trying to fulfill his breeding instincts.

I hope that helps some. You can find great care info on many different tort species over at TortoiseForum.org.

AutumnFire

Original Poster
thanks for all the info :) yeah i thought they'd do better solitary, but my brother was thinking of getting one too so I didn't know what'd be best.
My dad's work-mate is looking to rehome his so I'll probably take it in, but thanks for giving me all these things to consider :D

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
i would agree. for the herrmans 4x2 feet would be a minimum. i dont know about pairs or redfoots. when i was thinking about a tort i was going for a herrmans. i was going to build an outdoor pen though. could you do that? then even in winter you could have a cage ready. just keep then outside most of the year if you can. i was going to build a 20x15 ft pen for a single one....lol then i would of had a 4x2 cage for winter.

Floof

Juvie Member
AutumnFire":3adwlfpk said:
thanks for all the info :) yeah i thought they'd do better solitary, but my brother was thinking of getting one too so I didn't know what'd be best.
My dad's work-mate is looking to rehome his so I'll probably take it in, but thanks for giving me all these things to consider :D

Best is probably to give your brother's tortoise its own separate enclosure. :)

That's cool, what kind of tortoise does your dad's coworker have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom