Red Eared Slider Male suddeny gone aggresive Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalFramer

So My 2 turtles i have had them together for years.Their in a 55 gallon long tank. My problem is after they mated for the first time last year (she laid 3 clutches, 50+ eggs for first time mating) my male has been trying to mate with her (mating dance) and she wasn't accepting him so he's taking to biting any part he can get a hold of. So I've had them separated for a little over a half a year and every time i try putting him back in the tank he tries to bite the minute he gets back in. Any ideas on how to stop this behavior?

Floof

Juvie Member
You can try upgrading them to a much larger tank (think 100 gallons or so--which is the recommended size for a single adult female RES, even before adding more turtles, anyway), and adding in a lot of hiding places/sight barriers (i.e. big fake plants) so they aren't always in each others' line of sight. If the male can't constantly see her, he may be less inclined to obsess over breeding.

That's the only thing I can think of that you can try. Otherwise, you'll have to entertain the idea of separating them permanently. Not that they'll care much--RES aren't exactly social!

On another note, do you WANT to breed them, or are you just wanting to house them together minus the breeding activity? RES are tragically common turtles, and finding proper homes for them is already incredibly difficult without adding another 150+ babies to the equation every year. There's no reason to have them together, in a situation where the female WILL be bred and likely produce eggs (which, as I'm sure you know, is hard on the female), if you're just going to dispose of the eggs/don't want to breed them, anyway. If your goal is to breed RES... Well, that's your choice, and, like I said, very large tank w/ sight barriers is your best bet... But I would implore you to seriously reconsider your decision to have a breeding project with this species.

Just my $.02. :)

Also, since it seems there are few people here on BD who have input on turtles, you might find it beneficial to find a good turtle forum or two to ask these questions on. There is a TurtleForum.com (run by the owner of Austin's Turtle Page, which is generally regarded as a good care reference). RedEarSlider.com has a forum, as well. TortoiseForum.org is primarily aimed at tortoises, but the community is fantastic (TBH, my favorite forum to browse and chat, lol) and you can still get a lot of great, knowledgeable/experienced opinions on the Aquatic Turtles forum.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I had the same issue with my turtles. I'm sad to say the end result was that we just had to keep them separated! It was amazing how much better they did without each other though. Wish u luck but really there is not much u can do because he will continue to mate her to death :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom