how to train my red ear slider turtle from running & bitin

Status
Not open for further replies.
my red eareded slider love to run from me. he like the fastest turtle on this planet, i try to bond with him but he get so scared, he loves to bite to when i touch his face or trying pet him, I had him for serveral months please help thanks :)

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
Try introducing your hand with something that he likes to eat in your hand, then when he's busy chomping down gently pet his shell. Try to avoid touching the face until he really trusts you. I have 2 Russian tortoises and they went immediately into their shells if they saw our hands coming towards their face. Now that my girlfriend and I have had them for over a year now they don't mind having the top of their heads pet if we take a slow approach to their faces. Once you and your turtle have gained a trusting bond then the biting should stop entirely, but until he is comfortable with you, don't freak out when he bites you. Just stay calm and it'll help him trust you better. Turtles and tortoises both are frightened by fast and loud reactions. So yeah just offer him something he likes to eat and slowly move towards his shell once he's taken the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom