Picking a Tortoise - I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the viv I want to build would be aproximatly 160gallons but Im in Canada and would like to know if anyone has ideas on what would do well, is avalable and there own experience. Ive done my own reasurch and have some ideas but theres only so much I can get from "book" type sorces Ive read some on BD's that me want to give up reading, so Im taing everything with salt. Id love to hear what everyone has to say. :study: :banghead:

Floof

Juvie Member
"Gallons" isn't going to help any in your decision. It doesn't tell us what the dimensions are: Length and width especially. Height doesn't matter much, other than making sure there's enough room for a good layer of substrate and still tall enough that a determined tort can't climb out.

Tortoises need a LOT of room, a lot more than you might expect. Russian Tortoises are among the smallest torts commonly available in captivity, maxing out at around 6" for males and 8-10" for females. They're also among the best beginner torts... But they still need a great deal of space more than their small size would imply.

When it comes to the smaller species of tort (i.e. under 8"), my favorite rule of thumb is 2 square feet per 1" of Straight Carapace (top shell) Length. As an example, I used 6x2 ft enclosures (12 sq ft) for my 5.5" and 6.5" Russian tortoises (housed singly, mind you). And bigger is still better!

Just with what little information you've already provided, I would recommend looking strongly into Russian Tortoises. Keep in mind, this is just one suggestion. There are several others that may do well in the enclosure you're planning, and/or just might strike your fancy more than a Russian does.

Here's a good resource for Russian tortoise care: http://russiantortoise.org
And for tortoises in general, I couldn't recommend http://TortoiseForum.org more. It's a great community of tortoise keepers, and is the single most up-to-date source of information for tortoise care available... Which is definitely a bonus, because it seems as though we learn new things about proper tortoise care every day: their care isn't nearly as honed in as, say, Bearded Dragons and most snakes.

xXColtzFanXx

Original Poster
Ok the dimensions would be: 4.67 Length and 2.75 width with about 1.75 feet height. So aproximatly 12.8 square feet. I have looked into it eough to know that they do well if not better with outside space. (The outside encloser thats planed in nearly double but this is simply the inside space, Larger changes can be made but thats why Im asking for help and ideas.) Northern Canada doesnt really provide optimal conditions year round so I want to be sure that it has an attiqute indoor space aswell.

Thank you for your Russian Tortoise suggestion they seem to be well suited to my ideas. Also thank your for the web pages they are very helpful. :)

If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions or ideas as well any are welcome, either on the viv or Tortoise types.

Thank you :D

Monkey

Juvie Member
I am biased as well as an owner of a russian.. They are easy to care for, very social, curious, a lot like a tort version of beardies I dont think I ever heard of a nasty one... Mine is the biggest snugglebug... He loves to roam around and he eats like a little horsey :D

they are just calm, easy and sturdy little animals :D

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
Hello
I myself have just decided to Venture into the world of tortoises now have 3 Redfoot tortoises .
1 male 5" scl & 1 female 4.5" scl
For now inside i have the2 little ones in a 40 gallon critter keeper .
During the day they are kept in a 6'x12' converted dog kennel i set up for outside tortoise enclosure.
At this size they do just fine in the 40 gallon critter keeper .
These tortoises are easy to keep & very social .
I have a 9" scl male that is kept ouside during the summer months ,
His indoor enclosure is a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub purshased from wal-mart ,
These torts average about 13 to 16 inches fully grown & can get up to 30 lbs .
What i like about these torts is living in Galveston works for me b/c they love it hot & humid.
Another thing i like about the red foots is the same diet i feed my dragons works well for mt torts
Hope this helps ,
Mike D.
The link posted earlier tortoiseforum.org is a very useful sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom