TURTLES NEED TO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAVE 2 MALE TURTLES. THEY ARE ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD AND 6-7 INCHES IN LENGTH. THEY FIGHT AND I NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE TAKE ONE OR I WILL BE FORCED TO PUT THEM IN A LOCAL POND (WHICH II KNOW IS REALLY BAD) BUT ITS FILLED WITH A BUNCH OF OTHER TURTLES AND I DONT NEED TO END UP WITH A DEAD ONE.
ANYONE LIVE NEAR BEVERLY HILLS, CA? FOR LOCAL PICKUP. THERE FREEEEEE

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
what kind of turtles are they? if they dont naturally live in the wild in your area dont let them go. People letting pets go just tightens up laws on what we can and cant have. You'll be hurting the turtles you let go, the turtles that are supposed to be there, and everyone out there who like to keep odd pets. Drop them off at a rescue, or put them for free on craigslist.

TamiLynne

Hatchling Member
What species? I agree with Jayson - do NOT release them into the wild. Best case scenario, they will probably die. Worste case, they will die, and will inflict damage on the ecosystem and other as well. Please contact a local rescue http://www.tortoise.org/cttc/adoption.html or your local SPCA (Google search the name of your community to find their website) and they will be happy to take care of your turtles until they can find them a new home.

wellsieboy555

Original Poster
But i dont want one of my turtles to die... theyres obviously hundreds of other released RES in our local pond. please i knowww its super bad to release them but if the turtles in the pond are former pets im sure they can live. either instincts or them just watching other turtles

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Just because other people do it does not make it right! Check into those links you were given. Once you take responsibility for a pet YOU are responsible until the time you find someone else to be responsible.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Do not release it into the wild! First of all it's illegal. It's pet abandonment, and they might throw on some more charges for a non-native species. You hear about the python ban? Well it's because in part because of this. Abandoned pets are destructive to the ecosystem. If it's a non-native species it will not know which food is good and which will kill them. Hundreds if not more pets are killed every year because of accidental eating of toxic plants and bugs. Captive bred and wild animals are NOT the same. Their instincts are dulled from generations of captive breeding and lack of use. This is true of even zoo animals. I saw it first hand when I worked there and resulted in the death of a very rare animal all because a captive bred animal went against it's instincts.

There are tons of shelters and rescue places, even some vets and pet stores that will take it off your hands. You say you dont' want one of your turtles to die, well releasing it to the will gives a good chance of that very thing happening. It's senseless when there are so many that would take it.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from Bearded Dragon Discussions>General to Other Reptile Discussions>Turtles and Tortoises]

Have you tried contacting a local petstore or vet to see if they'd be willing to take the male turtles? Craigslist is a great place too.

Floof

Juvie Member
Craigslist might get you some responses, but if you go that route, do try to make sure the person taking them knows how to take care of them...

If you're in California, look up the CTTC: California Turtle and Tortoise Club. The chapter closest to you may be willing to take one or both. Beware, though, that they already take in literally thousands of RES a year, so they may be too full up to take on your pets. In which case, look up other reptile rescues in the area (google is your friend) and post an ad on Craigslist.

In the mean time, for goodness' sake, separate them!!! If you're so worried about them killing each other, why haven't you separated them?? You can find cheap aquariums on Craigslist or even just pick up a big plastic storage tub from Walmart or the like. Grab a spare heat lamp, something for it to get out of the water and bask on (a big planter pot set upside down with a tile/rock siliconed to the top works like a charm), and you're set until someone can come take it for you. It's not ideal by any means, but it sure beats having one of them DIE because you couldn't/wouldn't separate them!!!

Check out this great care website for Red Eared Sliders:http://redearslider.com/. You should definitely read through it, even if you intend to get rid of both of them. This page in particular: http://redearslider.com/startup.html has a chart that compares very cheap, "Basic" supplies to what you might normally get. A good list to go by if you're willing to spend the $$ to separate your two until someone comes forward to clean up your mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom