Getting turtles to eat their greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Hi everybody!
Well, as some of you probaly know, I know have two little turtle mouths to feed. :D But, I know that both painteds and RES are supposed to have greens to "graze" at. Well, Ive tried kale, dandilions, collards, romaine lettuce..and nothing! both just turn their heads away and look for their pellets or worms or whatver. Same thing with cuttle bone. Anyone out there have any tips for me? Like should I cut them up a certain size, (ive tried large and small and medium) or is their anyway to make taste better to turtles? I know when Elvis was starting salads I'd put a little bit of juice on it but idk what to do with this! Both of these turtles werent ''planned'' and Ive done research but arent as knowelable as I am with beardies (but dont get me wrong, I love Mertle and Leroy)

Thanks, Kaitlyn

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
We have a redfoot tortoise that wont eat greens.
I cut them up very small and mix them with the pellet much.
When they shovel in the food they have no choice but to eat it.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Buddy refuses greens too, from day 1. I even dangled one right in front of his face once, thinking that he'd get annoyed enough to bite at it. Well, the joke was on me because not only did he NOT attack it, but he closed his eyes and looked for a place to hide :roll:

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I try to do that too! he just swims away. Is there any other way to get them their calcium? they dont like cuttle bone either:/ getting almost as picky as elvis!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Good question. I have no idea, but I would think that by putting the drops in the water wouldn't guarantee that he'd be getting the correct dosage.
Any chance you could administer the liquid calcium outside of his tank??

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hmm. Well Leroy eats in the tank but since Mertle is littler he eats in a little tuppaware container. I dont think I could really ''force feed'' it to them though. Leroy would bite me.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
my painted turtle will only eat pond plants, things that naturally grow in the water.
I only know this because i gave up trying to feed him greens and put some water plants in his tank for looks, guess what they disappeared on me. lol

he's in a 40 breeder!

the pet store should be able to give you a good idea what is OK for them to eat.

i would try a potted pond plant.

hope that helps

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I, too, had placed water plants in Buddy's tank for decorations, but they were never eaten. The most he ever did with them was move them out of his way or hid underneath (when he was small).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom