New turtle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Hi everyone...Well, I got a new turtle! Time bing, his name is Mertle, but it could change because i;m having trouble picking out a name. But I wasnt PLANNING on getting a turtle, so heres the story. Yesterday my neighbor came over with a tiny turtle in her POCKET! asked if i could keep it, because she cant. She said the he was a Chinese Floating Turtle. The size he was (about the size of a nickle) was as about as big as he would get, and he ate bread. I didnt know that turtles ate bread, and the poor thing looks so unhealthy and scared, so i said yes. I just googld Chinese Floating Turtles, and nothing came up. But he looks exactly like a RES pastel baby. Oh yeah, and he didnt come with a cage, she was keeping him in a bowl for 6 months. So, for the time being, he is in a large cricket kepper with a UTH, because thats all I can afford (making money is very hard for a 14 year old, though I do babysit.) Plus, we are moving, and we have to live with my grandparents for a month, so I cant get any more big set-ups or my grandparents will shoot me, beause I'm already moving in with a beardie in a 75 galon tank, a baby painted turtle in a 30 gallon tank, various 10-20 gallon tanks, a bunny, and a cat. And i didnt tell my mother yet that the size of the turtle isnt the size he's staying at. I think I will wait til we all settled in our new house, then tell them i'm gonna need a bigger tank. This is not good. I hope they still let me keep him, he is adorable. Oh but hes not eating pellets, so I might get him some brine shrimp or something, because when i first got leroy, i had to feed him brine shrimp and gradually switch to pellets. Well, wish me and Mertle luck, hopefully I can pull this turtle through, because as I said, he doesnt look very healthy.

Thanks, Kaitlyn

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Hope everything works out. If she was feeding him bread he's probably not feeling too good but you're really good at research so i'm sure you'll fix him up soon enough :)

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thanks! ive been doing a ton of research, and he's actually doing a bit better and eating finally! not as much as i hoped, but its a start. i told my mom tht hes a RES and shes actually happy about it, so things are doing good!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Congrats on having a new baby!

How did your neighbor come to acquire Mertle?? Was he found or bought?

I'm sure you'll be able to bring this little turtle around and he'll start eating pellets for you. Good luck . . . and post some pics when you have a chance :)

Beardiemommy137

Hatchling Member
do you have any pictures of your new little one?? i've never heard of a Chinese Floating turtle. Now i've heard of a Chinese Box turtle....i was just curious about what he looked like so maybe we can help you figure out what he is for sure. congrats on your newest addition!!!

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi all! Sorry I havent been able to post for a few days, my computer hasnt been working...
But anyways, Mertle is doing great! I brought him to PetLife, which is a small, great pet store and got a few opinions and they all said he's definently a RES, but I will post pics in a few days. But, i have to make this quick, but he's a little piggy now! First, after 6 days, he started eating fish flakes, then pellets, and now worms and pellets. But I have to go, so I will post more tomorow.

Thanks,
Kaitlyn

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok hi all! Here are your promised pics! he is soooo tiny, and its hard to belive that Leroy was once that small! I was just looking at all my old pics on photobucket, and I CANT BELIEVE how quick my babies are growing! I remember the day I got Elvis, and he was so small...it makes me happy to see them grow and be heathy and happy, but its kinda sad to see how much time has already went by...
but...presenting...MERTLE THE TURTLE!(he's the little one, the bigger one is Leroy)

Photo-0564.jpg

look how tiny Leroy was wen i got him in April

04-23-09_1445.jpg

as you can see he's getting big!

Another one of Mertle
Photo-0566.jpg

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awwww!!!! What a teeny weeny cutie ptootie!
Isn't it amazing how small they are as babies, and how fast they grow up?
I'm always amazed at how tiny Buddy was as a hatchling. If it wasn't for pics, I'd never have proof that he grew :wink:

How had Leroy been with Mertle around? Do you keep them in the same tank?

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know! And since your with them everyday, you really dont realize how much they grow til you look at the pics after! And he's really small considering he's about 8 months old, but the original owner kept in a little bowl, the same size as my beta fish's, but she had two of them in there (the other one died) and I'm really surprised Mertle survived all that time on BREAD! but he's in a happy and safe home now :D And no I dont keep them in the same tank, Leroy is a little beast and thought he was food the first time he saw them together. :roll: Do you think Mertle will have stunted growth, or do you think he will start growing now that he has a prober enviornment and food?

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
thats good. I hope he gets to the full size as he's supposed to be. Is Buddy a Snapping turtle? Does he try to bite you alot? I think Leroy is half snapper or something cuz he bites alot. Whenever anyone except for me comes towards him he opens his mouth right up and trys to bite their finger. Its the funniest thing to watch, I just hope he outgrows it when hes bigger

Beardiemommy137

Hatchling Member
Well it looks to me like Mertle is either a Yellowbellied Slider or something like it. How cute!!! I don't think that Merlte will be stunted as long as you take good care of him...and if he is you can handle it. keep up the good work!!!

babyelvissocute

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. And he's a Red Eared Slider. It is alotta work, now that I have 1 beardie, 2 turtles, 1 cat, 1 bunny, 3 frogs, 2 toads, and 10 fish, and I take care of them all myself between school, soccer, and softball. but its worth it, all the hard work pays off:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom