Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumorDragon

Hatchling Member
Hi! I may have a chance to some day (I dont know when but somwhere in the future...) get a russian tortise.
-How big should their cages be?
- if I provide natural sunlight would they need a light? (Kept inside, let outside for four or so hours a day?)
- I heard they get around 8'' or so. has anyone had bigger?
I found a guinea pig cage today at a reall good price and I will give the measurments when I can. (My sister says the base is 17''X24''... Is that a good size for at least a baby?)
If anyone has any info I might need, please let me know. :D
Thank you.

Beardiemommy137

Hatchling Member
I'm not an expert on Russians...then again i don't claim to be an expert on anything lol....but i do know that they don't get very big. only about 8in in total length. An airy cage is needed. minimum habitat size for an adult is 4ft long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. if penned outside, but sure that you dig a barrier at least 8inches deep (deeper if the soil is easy to penitrate) because they are good escape artists lol. walls should also be a minimum of 1foot above ground with an inward facing lip. also be sure to have a secure lid over the outside enclosure because of preditors that might want to eat your tortoise. a warm dry retreat is needed.

for an indoor enclosure a large 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub works nicely. this is what we have for out little guy! or even a kiddie pool!!! Mix play sand and garden loam for a substrate. Coconut husk can be substituted for the garden loam. 90-95* on the warm side and 65-75* on the cool. If outdoors, keep clean water in the pen at all times, nothing too deep.

If by chance you get a hatchling, a 1 foot by 1 and 1/2 foot enclosure is best. it's not too big or too small for it.

you can get TONS of info at http://www.reptilechannel.com just search the Turtles and Tortoises section. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!!! Good luck!!

Beardiemommy137

Hatchling Member
you're very welcome. We have a Greek...Iberan....and he's no bigger than the palm of your hand. he'll get about 8in in total lenth and they don't differ much from Russians...

Beardiemommy137

Hatchling Member
well, just take your time and do your research. also, go through a breeder wether it be from an expo or online. remember that this is a lifetime companion and it may outlive you, so be prepared. i already know, 1 of my 4 kids will take it. here, check out this site and feel free to ask them questions, too. http://www.theturtlesource.com This is the breeder i went through. Marc Cantos, who was Reptiles Magazine's Breeder's Choice this month, is awesome. Feel free to ask me anything, or even Marc! Tortoises are fun and sweet little things. Just be careful, they flip themselves a lot sometimes. We named ours Flip because that what he does lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom