DW wants a SMALL tortoise--Recommends?

Discus topics specific to turtles and tortoises .

DW wants a SMALL tortoise--Recommends?

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:18 pm

DW is researching/considering a SMALL indoor tortoise. Something along the lines of a Russian, Egyptian, Greek, Hermann's...) We know it'll likely outlive us--we can make accommodations. :)
Any other variety suggestions/recommendations she might check out? Pros/Cons?
She'll likely eventually find a tortoise-specific forum, but we gotta start someplace... :wink:

This will be her first reptile. :D
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: DW wants a SMALL tortoise--Recommends?

Postby claudiusx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I hate that you did this... made this thread...

Because it made me look up the tortoises you mentioned and now I'm dying to get one also!

The wife has always wanted a tortoise! Me too but not as bad as her. I put them off as I was completely unaware there were species that didnt get too big!

I really want an Egyptian now...

Why MrSpectrum... why...

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby claudiusx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:45 pm

Hmm.. my wallet wants a Russian tortoise more though.. LOL

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:02 am

claudiusx wrote:The wife has always wanted a tortoise! Me too but not as bad as her. I put them off as I was completely unaware there were species that didnt get too big!

I really want an Egyptian now...

Why MrSpectrum... why...

Two words: Domestic Harmony. :lol:

YOU want an Egyptian SHE wants the tortoise! What about what SHE wants? :laughing6:

It took me about 8 yrs. for my DW to let me bring a couple measly anoles into the house. She barely tolerated one sitting on her hand, then freaked when it jumped on to her body.
She was almost 30 before she'd believe that snakes aren't slimy (got a picture of her draped in a 20' boa at a zoo event--she does not look amused/happy) :D

Last night she remarked she liked tortoises because, "they're slow.... like sloths & koalas."
"...and chameleons," I added. :roll:

I think we should be grateful for small blessings. Let THEM pick the tortoises. :wink:
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:39 am

claudiusx wrote:Hmm.. my wallet wants a Russian tortoise more though.. LOL

From what I'm watching on vids, reading online, and seeing at shows (2 so far), most/all of the Russian tortoises I've seen are full-grown, which suggests to me they're very likely WC. Other species I'm seeing as babies--some CB and some (I'm guessing) may be FB. When we asked a few vendors, "Do you breed these yourselves?" several answered, "We breed these, but we get those from a friend in [another state]." Might be legit, but my skeptable side wonders if it's code for FB? :dontknow:

At least we picked up a couple more species for DW to investigate/research... :study:
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Turtles and Tortoises