What should I get!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDragon_AddictXx

Hatchling Member
Hi All,

I've been holding off on getting another pet for a while, but I think now is the time! After a trip to the pet store yesterday (and looking around like usual), my boyfriend commented that if I wanted anything, he'd get it for me for my birthday next month. Now I'm excited!

I just need help deciding what sort of pet to get to fit my conditions - so I thought I'd ask you experts. Currently I have one dog (shep mix), one bird (cockatiel) and a bearded dragon. In the past I've had...quite a few others. I realize I really do best with pets that can be handled. I love taking my bearded dragon out and walking around with him attached to my sweater. Some animals are a little better at being free to roam the house (like my old rabbit or turtle) and some not so much (like my mice that could easily run away). Of course, I love them all - so I'm just taking suggestions! Frilled Dragons, Rats, Uromastyx, Hamsters, Tortoise...

What are your favorite pets?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Have you considered a snake?
I really want a cham, but I'm not ready for one yet.

There are also furry varieties like sugar gliders and chinchillas, which are so silly and fun!

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
I have rats, mice, guinea pig, dragons (for now giving them away long story) scorpions and snakes. I'd have to say if I could only keep 2 types of animals from my zoo it would be my rats and snakes. The rats are affectionate and fun and the snakes are beautiful and so exotic that I adore them ( and they're great for scaring off bro and roommates prospective gf's) :lol:

xXDragon_AddictXx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Very interesting ideas! Sadly though, I'm not a huge fan of snakes. My boyfriend has had 2 so far (california kingsnake and a young ball python) and I was a little afraid of both. My dragon on the other hand I would never ever fear of biting me :p I apologize to all you snake lovers :silent:

Sugar gliders are so cute!! I read up on them though and they're just a little too wild I think for me. Plus you have to get a big sized cage and apparently they smell? hehe cute though.

Ferrets were something else I was thinking about but apparently my mom has had one before. I hear they're also a little mean if you're not careful. Plus I'm sure my dog would try and eat it :roll:

I'm still very interested in getting a rat though. There is a white one at the petstore we go to with black markings around its eyes that they call Zorro. They do seem really affectionate.
:love5:

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Rats are great, just remember they're short life spanned so getting attached is asking for that little heartbreak every 3 to 5 years.
Here's my latest.

dumay.jpg
Dumay

King-Godzilla

Hatchling Member
Rats (as well as hamsters, mice, and other small rodents) are good, but like the post above says, they do have short life spans. I know someone at one of the local pet stores that breeds rats, and she loves them.

Um, I had a ferret once, and he was almost too much for me to handle in terms of care (don't worry, he wasn't neglected; I took good care of him until he died of old age. I'm just saying a ferret was harder than I thought.). They smell, bite (though I hear you can teach them not to), and want A LOT of attention, especially if they're alone in their cage like mine was! My advice if you want a ferret: get two of them so they won't feel so lonely when they're in their cage (or at least one and a stuffed animal; though the ferret might poop on it. Mine did at least twice a month :lol: ).

If you want a reptile, that all depends on what type you want: big or small, carnivore, herbivore, omnivore, or insectivore, lizard, snake, or turtle/tortoise... I mean, that's what I do when thinking of getting a new reptile (thinking of getting another ball python in July or when I move to a bigger place, whichever comes first :wink: )

I never had a chinchilla before, but there was one that was a school pet I knew, and he was cool, and so cute when taking a dust bath. He liked to bite when people stuck their fingers in his though :? .

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Rats are another animal that needs a friend, at least 1 friend, unless you can keep them amused many hours of the day meaning play with, hold and essentially carry with you all the time. My sweet pea was alone for 9 months of her life and she was so quiet and what I thought was lazy. I bought dumay (see above pic) and sweet perked up, now shes bouncy and playful and a typical female rattie.

bdp7150

IF YOU WANT SOME GOOD PET SHIP AND FUN TO WATCH GROW UP GET SOME CHICKENS THATS IF YOU HAVE THE PLACE FOR A COOP . I ENJOY MINE AND MESS WITH THEM EVERY DAY. THIS IS COMING FROM A COUNTRY DUDE.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Oooh I had chickens when I lived out in the boondocks, they were great. I raised them in a play pen in my bedroom til they were old enough to go into a coop. They were really interesting, but I hated plucking them in the end, too dang many feathers, never got them completely clean :?

xXDragon_AddictXx

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahh I love these ideas, hehe. I would have never thought of chickens! I did know a family that used to have them though. I'd have to research about that...

As for the rats, when I was doing research I did indeed find that they do better with others. I was planning on getting two if that's what I chose :)

Sadly though, I think I might be giving up on this idea for a while. I realize that in a year when I graduate from college I'll most likely move in somewhere with my boyfriend. If we choose to rent someplace we might be restricted by our pets. I might just have to wait a year before I think about this again. Thanks to everyone though!

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
I don't know about over in the US but me and my other half rent and have found Landlords to be ok with Reptiles.

We do gloss over the fact that our lizards eat insects that are also kept in the house and may get lose bits. We tell Landlords that they live in the tanks don'tmake noise or mess, we also don't mention we let Wiggles run around. It makes them think of them kind of like fish, but without the danger of water damage to their property if something goes badly wrong. As a result Landlords that would not allow dogs or cats or other furries (especially rabits or any gerbils rats etc because of the nibbling habits) have been fine with our reptiles.

After interacting with a very tame pet rat i think they'd make a great pet, but are not a possibility while I rent

Nobody has suggested Crested geckos, cute little guys, easily handled
(sorry this is a current obsession of mine have wanted them for ages but a second grandis is first priority and setup improvements not to mention clearing credit cards and loans :( me and the other half are ex-students/graduates and I've been unable to find permenant work)

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: if our landlord honestly knew what we had i'm pretty sure we'd be on the street, but we're lucky, we have a lazy landlord who only comes to the door every other year generally and he doesn't come inside the apartment. Hell we can't get him to the bathroom to fix the toilet so i'm sure he'll never know bout all the critters we have. :laughhard:

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Chinchillas, sugar gliders and ferrets need A TON of attention and socializing. I wouldn't recommend them if you already have 3 pets.

Hamsters or gerbils are easy to care for, require little space, and can "roam" around the house in a ball.

I would also second the crested gecko. I've been thinking of getting one or two myself....

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I gotta say I am shocked about hearing about peoples issues with ferrets.I must have been VERY lucky.I was given an adorable baby girl named Cana by my then boyfriend(now husband) many years ago and she was my best buddy.She NEVER bit me and was always full of love.I will give you that she was a devil when it came to swiping things that didnt belong to her but other then that she was a hyper playful ball of fun.I always told people it was alot like having a kitten that never grew up.IShe died of cancer and I miss her dearly.

So what are you leaning towards fuzzy,scaley or feathered?There alot of great reptiles that generally dont cause issues with rentals.If your looking for the furry kind rats are really cool or what about a hedgehog?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with you on the ferrets. They are so funny, they seem to entertain themselves and you as a by-product! They play with cats really well, but they do, in fact, do better as a pair or more. There are three at the sanctuary, two that I rescued, and they are all so very close. I've never been bitten, and they are all three rescues. Musky little devils, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom