What is your opinion about hand sanitizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Especially since I'm getting a bearded dragon, I'm going to be even more careful about personal hygene between handling my snake and my BD.

Question #1: Do you guys think regular hand sanitizer is strong enough to kill all the salmonella on reptiles?

Question #2: Do you guys think regular hand sanitizer is harmful to reptiles?

Just want to hear your thoughts.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I have been using hand sanitizer ever since getting my first beardie and have never had any issues.First let me say that the chances of actually getting slamonella from a beardie is slim to none unless you start licking one :wink: With that said it still is the smart choice to sanitize before and after handling for both the safety of you and the beardie.The only thing I recommend is that you make sure to allow the sanitizer to dry on your hands before handling your beardie.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
vickson420":a8a37 said:
I have been using hand sanitizer ever since getting my first beardie and have never had any issues.First let me say that the chances of actually getting slamonella from a beardie is slim to none unless you start licking one :wink: With that said it still is the smart choice to sanitize before and after handling for both the safety of you and the beardie.The only thing I recommend is that you make sure to allow the sanitizer to dry on your hands before handling your beardie.

Really? I thought they were covered in a very thick layer of salmonella.... but anyways, I try not to get my human germs all over my BP, but it's going to be even more important now that I will have another reptile.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
No they really are not.The salmonella is found in their bodily fluids like saliva or poop.Unless your beardie is rolling in its own poop or licking you constantly then with healthy sanitary practices the chances of contracting it are very very slim.Actually you have a better chance of getting it from a spinach salad :wink:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
vickson420":f6327 said:
No they really are not.The salmonella is found in their bodily fluids like saliva or poop.Unless your beardie is rolling in its own poop or licking you constantly then with healthy sanitary practices the chances of contracting it are very very slim.Actually you have a better chance of getting it from a spinach salad :wink:
Huh. That's interesting... thanks for the info! :mrgreen:

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah I don't like it...makes my hand smell like alcohol.

I am a very immune person I hardly get sick unless from a cold.

Only times I wash my hands when going from my dragon to my snake as my snake tends to eat lizards(kingsnake, I don't feed it lizards) so yeah Don't want to get bitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom