my frilled neck lizard is lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this is a beardie site and I have frilled necks. One of them got lost in the house two days ago. I have done everything that you people have suggested on someone's post of the same nature. I want to lean in the direction that these two types of reptiles are somewhat the same in many ways. My wife's heart is breaking and I am distraught. He(Akri) is about 16in. and I find it hard to believe we can't find him in the places that has been suggested and the places he normally likes to hide in. Will his little body shut down from getting too cold? How small of a place can he get into because he seems healthily fat and I worry he will get hungry but won't find his way back...any idea will be greatly appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is like a dragon, he will be OK for a while and is likely just curled up sleeping in a secure dark spot. Keep going over areas behind and under furniture, in and around drapes, any kind of dark protected space that is accessible. If he didn't have ability to get out of the house, he likely isn't far and will hopefully turn up soon.

northruprj

Original Poster
Thanks cooperdragon and you are absolutely right. Lo and Behold our baby showed up this afternoon on the kitchen floor cold as ice and hungry as a horse however we warmed him up and then fed him slowly and he seems to be back at home. I was going to lift my drop in oven out of the counter today because I had read a numerous amount on this site of where the little fart could be. I tried using my inspection mirror and a flashlight under the stove but just couldn't get in the very front corner...my wife was so excited she started crying. Thanks you everyone with the tips on helping out the gal (Kayla?) who had lost her beardie I was narrowing down the areas but our baby must've gotten cold, lonely and hungry.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
I know this is a bit late but I'm glad you were able to find your frilled neck I've worked in a reptile house for a very long time before I left to start my own business and when it comes to thrill neck lizards or frilled dragons I'm assuming you have a species that doesn't get much larger than it already is some of the island species can get fairly large up to two feet long actually and due to their size they tend to be easier to find. But if it happens again and you can't find him I would check in the sources of heat anything that can fit their head into they can fit good chance he was probably behind your stove top if he could get back to it he could have even been in the stove itself if there was a gap at the back of it. The most reptiles in general after they haven't had access to heat for a long time will seek it out if you have a dryer sometimes they like to go to the vent outlet for the heatif you still had the furnace running sometimes they'll be back towards where the furnace is basically anywhere that they can get towards heat it's built into them to seek it out. I don't know if any of that information is helpful to you if you didn't already know it or not but I always like to help out any way that I can think of but I'm glad that you found him. I have a post called other pet reptiles if you want to post him on that it's small and just starting out.

northruprj

Original Poster
To williamk34, better late than never I always say. I will take a look at your other post for sure . I find it somewhat tough to get much information about our "frillies" but, I have found that the beardie community has been helpful in a lot of areas as far as the behavior traits the two different reptiles.
Thanks for the info buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom