Deciding On Next Lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
What are some other lizard species that dont mind handling and can live in a 20G long (30"x12"x12") tank when full grown? Seeing if I can repurpose my beardy's baby tank without inevitably needing a larger tank.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Currently it'll be the feeding tank so i dont have to fish left overs out of the main tank and hopefully poop as well, we'll see what I can get her schedule down to.

Still with parents who are anti roaches, even when it comes to dubias. Especially against breeding them, horribly afraid of an infestation.

I was thinking about a leopard or crested gecko but Im not familiar with them, hence asking here. I really want my next lizard to be an arboreal alligator lizard but they're too large for a 20G so that wont be this tanks next use.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Leopard gecko are the easiest to care for + to handle. They're adorable pets + tolerate handling pretty well after they settle in + grow a bit if you get a baby.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leopard geckos do look adorable and IK they're easy to care for, Ive handled them before but not extensively.

As much as Id like the second lizard to be the arboreal alligator lizard after the research Ive done recently, this tank isnt large enough to repurpose into an adult tank for one (recommended from what I found was 20x20x30H") and this is only a 20G long.

On the other hand, Id imagine a leopard gecko being easier and cheaper in every aspect.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Deabrua":3j551ulf said:
Still with parents who are anti roaches, even when it comes to dubias. Especially against breeding them, horribly afraid of an infestation.
What's the climate like Over the Rainbow?

Unless you live in FL, CA, LA, or HI, (or someplace with avg temps in the 90s and avg humidity above 50%) that's nigh impossible.

dubia breeding requirements

Lessee... 20 gal is still too small for even a Rankin (Dwarf Beardie).
I checked my list of "also rans" (considerations for my next...) but they're all (close to) beardie size.
Leopard Gecko (or a Day Gecko) are ideas, but AFAIK, most/all of the New Caledonian species are at least semi arboreal, so vertical habitats are recommended.

You might try this search: small lizards for pets for suggestions, then verify their size and enclosure requirements. :wink:

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Finally got a pass on dubias. Temps in my area have ranged from a record low of -39 to a record high of 113. Generally though, we see single digits to 20s in the winter and 80s/90s during the summer.

Since my beardy has not touched the base floor of her tank once, albeit occasionally using the center platform, it'll be divided in two and the 20gal will remain a feeding tank. I know it's plenty but the 24x43" floor space doesn't seem like enough. At 24" tall it's roughly 107 gallons albeit not much of the height would end up being used. The lower half is roughly the same albeit the tank wasn't cut in half quite perfectly.

I've decided that the second lizard will be my college graduation present, and a reason to hit that goal a semester early.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
You're probably already aware, but if you need any further arguments, dubias can't fly, don't bite, and can't climb slick surfaces (like Sterilite-type tubs).

I was surprised the other day. I fumbled ZaRDoZ' bowlful of dubias and they went all over. I was only able to recover about half of them, but DW didn't freak out! (She had the same revulsion reflex as your folks). Instead, she was very supportive, reminding me they wouldn't survive the current winter and lack of sustenance. Like Indiana Jones, I chose... wisely. :)

If I'm reading/understanding you correctly, 24" x 43" enclosure floor space sounds marginal (48 x 24 or larger recommended). Here's a guideline I like. Assuming 24" dragon length, that would be 48-72"L x 24-36"D x 36-48"H. Personally, I think I'd try to keep to no more than 24-30"H for reasonably locating the UVB and safety (My dragon tends to fall/jump off things... :oops: )

Good luck & congrats on graduation!

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Their aversion is literally due to the word roach being in the name. I showed them the dubias and explained why they're better than crickets in every way before I told them what they were. My beardy is 17 months old and around 18" right now. Both of her parents stopped at 22". The height of either tank if I were to divide the full enclosure would be around 23-24", I use a T5 at higher heights rather than a T8 that's closer to her due to her knack of climbing and falling off things...

I was always told that 40G breeders are the minimum. 43x24x24 is 107 gallon. Even if you cut it to 18" it's still 80 gallon. For 43x24 to drop to 40 gallon, the height would have to drop below 9". For 43x24 to drop to 50 gallon, the height would have to drop to 11". It's also only 5" short of the suggested 4'x2'x2'.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Deabrua":26vj9gaa said:
I was always told that 40G breeders are the minimum.
Yes, minimum; 48x24x24 is currently the "recommended/ideal" size--based on a consensus of credible/reputable sources--and/or larger ("as large as one can afford"). It appears that 40G is old/outdated information. However, discussions I've read also usually mention how often one takes their dragon out of the enclosure as being a factor.

I've never been one for minimums--but that's me. :roll: I tend to overdesign/oversize things as well. It's only since I got back into this hobby (and after I built my 60x24x24) that I found articles recommending enclosure size based on multiples of the lizard's length, and I've seen several now. It makes sense. I don't really like gallons for enclosure size measurements for the very reasons you mentioned; there are a lot of ways--dimension-wise--that you can get to any particular gallon size, but will that be suitable for a particular species (e.g. terrestrial vs. burrowing vs. arboreal, etc.)?

Things change as the academics learn more about keeping these critters. :)

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Her current tank is actually 48" tall with three platforms.
101824-694199070.jpg

She uses the middle and top platform but not the bottom so Im heavily debating closing it off to have two, like mentioned before. Also normally there's more in the tank, don't worry. This is from when the tank was put back together the second time as the mortar project had finally finished. The 48x24 vs 43x24 floor space is 1152 sqr inch vs 1032 sqr inch.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Actually, that looks quite adequate considering the height. Have you considered some large branches (to simulate trees/shrubs) in lieu of or in addition to platforms? I've got lots of horizontal room that he almost never avails himself of except when he's on a plant-stomping tour. :lol:

He's usually content to sit atop his basking tower with an expression that screams, "Leave me alone--I'm basking!" :lol:

full

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I've more stuff to put in there, simply no pics of when it's been in... but she still only utilizes the upper two platforms, the lower tank remains untouched. Probably due to temperatures.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
No doubt. I put the "holes" in the brick basking tower mostly to reduce/save weight. He uses them for tunnels, but never as hides. I'd say he spends 90-95% of his waking time basking up there, the remainder split between eating and stomping plants, though lately he's been spending considerable time (3+ hrs./day) "worshiping" one particular plant in the back corner. It's the weirdest thing... :?

full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom