Black bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cthulhu14

Hello everyone I'm new to this and i have a about 5 month bearded dragon and i changed his substrate in his tank to being newspaper from a mat for reptiles. He was perfectly healthy before this but i looked into his tank tonight after changing his substrate and his beard was completely black and half of his upper tail was black and there was throw up in his tank. I'm freaking out because it's the first time I've ever seen him with such a black beard and I'm thinking it's because i made such a radical change to his environment but i just want to make sure it's nothing else

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he has thrown up it's not likely related to the change in substrate (both are fine). The black beard means he is in distress and throwing up is usually not a good sign. Has anything changed in his diet recently? What has he been eating? I would try offering a little water by dripping it on his nose and see if he licks at it. That may help him rehydrate after throwing up.

Cthulhu14

Original Poster
I did just add mangos to his diet. He does eat them quite a bit. Some pieces are big. Could the size of them effect that? Most of it was mangos now that i think about it. He's back to his normal self today. Eating and hanging out on his hammock judging me when i walk past. He ate two big dubias this morning.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK I'm glad he seems to be feeling better. It's a good sign that he went after the roaches. Maybe just a fleeting upset stomach. Mango is OK but don't offer a ton of it. Like with most fruit it should be an occasional accessory to salads. Dark leafy greens and things like squash, beans, bell peppers and similar are best in salads. I'd check this list out for some more ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Overall, shoot for variety as much as you can.

What do you have in place for lighting? What are the surface temps around his tank? Lighting can affect their digestion and overall health so it's important to get that set up the best you can. If you want to post details about your setup I'd be glad to review and make sure everything is just right for your buddy.

Cthulhu14

Original Poster
I don't have a heat gun but i do have a wall temputure thing. I am aware of how unaccurate they are and when i get a job i plan on buying one but i do have a 90 watt heat lamp and an uvb light i think it's zoo med brand don't hold me to it though and a heating pad on the back. I know heating pads can be dangerous but i only have it on during the night because i live in a basement and it gets very cold during the night i also have a heat radiating lamp for night time. The temps during the day are 90 to 100 degrees basking and the cooling areas are between 80 degrees or so. Night times I'm not super sure but when i put my hand on his underside while he's sleeping it is quite warm to me. I know i need a better to test the temputure i just have to get the money to get a way. I have a heater in my basement as well that i keep pretty close to him at night as well. I do know that i have very worrying temps but as you can tell i am aware of it and i do try to make sure he is warm enough. When i have him out and i know my basement is cold i put him on my chest and cover him in my blankets and he falls right asleep and starts radiating so much heat it almost murders me

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post a photo of the UVB light you have? How far is it away from his basking area? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them using the XIMG button.

Your temps sound OK but as you said a more accurate measurement would be helpful. You don't need anything super expensive though. A couple of these (one probe for each side) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ or one of these will do https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/

Since your temps sound pretty close though, I'd focus on saving up for a high quality UVB light. That will make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom