I think I messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
Back on Oct.22, I bought these 2 tiny little skinks called orange throat pygmy skinks. There was four in the tank but I only had a 10g. I couldn't find anything on them in particular. So, I contacted my friend at the store and she told me they were labeled with the sci. name of trachylepis striata. Even with that name that's the full-size lizard, not the pygmy ones. That care is almost identical to the fire skinks so, that's what I did.

Fast forward to today: both have died :cry:
I had been keeping the humidity around 70 misting 2xday with lots of hiding places, leafy plants and basking spot that was about 85. Kept a small bowl filled with fresh water and fed them 6-10 1/4inch crickets every other day.
But, today I woke up feeling like crap and spent most of the day sleeping and when I came to check on them(first time since turning lights on at 9 am) they were both dead.
Now I am wondering if anybody else had these or still may and might give me insight where I may have gone wrong.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry that you had to experience this. :( Were they wild caught or captive bred ? Some wild caught reptiles go through a lot of stress throughout the ordeal, being shipped from another country, parasites, dehydration, etc.

If they were captive bred, find out who they came from and how they take care of theirs.

Again, my sympathy to you, so sorry to hear this.

illuminis

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sadly, I got it at a pet store (not going to bash the store) and the manager (who has knowledge of most reptiles) wasn't 100% on the full care on them. They only have general care sheets in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom