Looking to get a new reptile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Hey guys! So, I am going to a reptile convention this July, and I have been seriously thinking about getting a new reptile, most likely a lizard. I was looking to get something other than a bearded dragon, perhaps a chameleon, but I wanted to ask around on here.

I take very good care of my bearded dragon, and was looking for an animal that requires either the same amount or a lesser amount of care, as at this time I would not be able to provide care to an animal that is high maintenance (since that usually requires much more time and much more money). I live in a moderately humid area, it never gets too dry, but it can get pretty humid. I was looking for something that will not cost me an arm and a leg (I know this depends on the breeder and the morphs of the lizard, but there's still usually an average cost), and that has relatively the same diet as a bearded dragon. Longevity like a beardie's is preferred, I would love to have an animal that will be with me for years. The last thing is that I would like to be able to get something that has good, solid information out there. I use this forum for many answers and guides for my little darling, and it's been a great help!

Does anyone have any good suggestions of what sort of reptile I should get, and where I could find good information? I'm a firm believer of obtaining knowledge before you purchase a new pet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Armadillo lizards seem interesting to me. I don't know anything about their care though. Might be worth looking into.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Cooper, armadillo lizards and fireskinks would be my recommendation. Even the wild caught ones [ which many are ] are very hardy and long lived. The fireskinks are bigger, they get around 14 -16" average and eat any bug you toss in. I fed mine superworms, hornworms, crickets, nightcrawlers, etc. They will also eat scrambled egg [ microwaved 1 minute, feed only a few pieces at a time ] They can live well over 10 years and are easy to keep, needing even less uvb than many lizards....if your uvb was old or burned out it wouldn't affect them for quite some time. Armadillo lizards [ not the true large armadillo, but the petstore forest armadillo ] get about 8" long tops, most are a bit smaller, and they also can live over 10 years and are very hardy. They like a basking spot of 90-100 at most, a waterbowl in the tank and loose substrate is fine. Mine was on sand/soil mix with lots of climbing areas. They eat most of the usual bugs including medium superworms. Mine even ate large supers. Here's a pic of my little one, I bought her as an adult for about $10.00 at a reptile show + had her for 10 years.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29909/full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Here's a good care sheet from Reptiles magazine, I pretty much care for my fireskinks the same way except I use more topsoil [ plain + store bought ] as well as layers of moss on top.The substrate should be pretty deep, at least 3-5" since they like to burrow. I also feed mine earthworms, which they love, but they'll eat all the bugs mentioned in the article as well as dubias. Here's a pic of my new baby [ about 6" ] , he's still skittish so I have to work with him but they do settle down reasonably well.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30015/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29972/full

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjuueSBj-fNAhXBND4KHWv0C-AQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reptilesmagazine.com%2FCare-Sheets%2FAfrican-Fire-Skink%2F&usg=AFQjCNGml0_U0S4h0evoN9EjlLYuXJRFNA&sig2=-QKlhLdkV_KbDGXA2xA80g&bvm=bv.126130881,d.cWw

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's gorgeous!

This one's my new girl
81865-8084697984.jpg
81865-7826258037.jpg

I was very happy to find her for such a good price, I think it was a little low because on three of her feet, it looks like her toes are gone. Well, actually, to be more specific, it looks like the toes never really grew, they just fused together. She's about a year old, and she has no name yet, but I'll be sure to think of a good one!

That article helped a lot. I ended getting a 20Gal (eventually, when I have more money, I'll be able to splurge on a larger one or even build my own), and some cyprus mulch, which I'll make sure to keep moist. Is there an estimate on how often the substrate needs to be changed?

I also bought a little hut, a log, and a small water dish that I'll keep shallowly filled. In terms of bugs, I just bought crickets, since my beardie will obviously eat those too, and I'm not worried about transporting them home (I am at a convention 5 hours away, and I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon, so I passed up on hornworms since they grow like crazy in this heat). It was great to get 1000 count without any shipping tax :lol: I'll supplement with the other bugs I buy Gabe, when I do that.

I have a small dome with a basking light in it at home, although I didn't pick up an undertank heater, so I assume I will need to get one of those. Does this remain on even during the nighttime? My house is hot in the summer, but the winter can get pretty cold. I do have calcium, obviously, so I'll dust the food with that and forgo the UVB. I know this is an age-old question, but does the D3 matter? I currently use without D3 for Gabe. Also, will she require Herptivite at all?

I think that's about it. I'm sure eventually, I'll have another question or two, but I'm just excited to get her all set up. She's a little squirmy, but she does seem to be fairly calm when I hold her!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great, and if she's handled regularly she'll settle down. Be careful though because they're quick as lightning and can get on the floor + under something much faster than a beardie ! I don't use undertank heat during the summer, the substrate stays warm enough in a house that doesn't go below 73-74 in the summer. Is the mulch the thick kind, like real pieces of shredded wood ? If so, you might want to get just a small cube of the bed a beast or eco earth to give it some softer substrate to dig in. My old f.s. that died after I had him 10 years used to poo in the same spot, farthest from the heat lamp in a corner so I kept plain soil+ a bit of sand in that spot and scooped it out every couple of days. The fact that he had that habit made it easy to clean. The rest of the substrate really wouldn't need cleaned maybe every few months if yours develops that good habit. I also throw in roly poly's [ pillbugs ] that keep up with eating debris in the tank.

Oh, and I keep both calcium with and without D3, I mostly use with D3 because I don't have a uvb bulb. Even with uvb, you can alternate every other feeding with or without but just a light coating on 1-2 bugs. The Herptivite very lightly 1-2X a week.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I've seen! I thought Gabriel could be fast, but wow, this little girl is quick. I have also noticed, after looking up pictures, that she seems to be missing all her toes. She has no toes on three feet, and the foot that I thought was normal actually has very, very small toes. I am not sure what happened, but hey, it doesn't seem to deter her one bit!

Perfect, so I'll wait a little bit until the temperatures go down to get an undertank heater, then (my house does get pretty cold in the winter, and I wouldn't want her to freeze overnight!).

I put the mulch in my car, but I will double check! I think it might be a bit finer, but if it's like actual pieces of wood, I will mix it, like you said. And I'll see if she sets up a habit once she's all settled in her tank!

Alright, I'll work with what I have! I do have a spare small UVB bulb (also left over from Gabriel's smaller tank), so whatever I do, I should be covered.

Thank you so much! That answered any little details I had.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! And yeah, they're quick. :) Be careful not to have her out much before you get home, if she gets loose in a hotel room or wherever you are [ or in the car ] you could be in big trouble. After you get home, post some pics of her toes when you get a chance.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have not! She's mostly staying in her container until I get home.

And I can do that! I can actually do that right now, she seems to be resting so I'll crack open the container. Her tail is also a bit short, so I think it may be growing back. I'll post that too.

Also, can she eat adult crickets? I forgot to ask, but I was told they would be fine and not too big.

81865-3804645408.jpg
back feet
81865-5316845337.jpg
front feet
81865-5147979148.jpg
short tail

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's wonderful that they can regenerate their tails but I think the toes are lost forever. They can lose the toes if conditions are too dry so the skin does not shed on the toes, it restricts like a tourniquet and toes fall off. They can adapt to these things, but too bad at some stage the owner/vendor kept her too dry.

She can eat large crix with no problem, you can pull off the back legs to make it easier for her to catch them if need be. She can also eat nightcrawlers, so if you ever have a hard time getting bugs shipped in severe cold weather you can check Walmart for a cup of crawlers. Offer them by hand so she doesn't get them full of dirt or wood.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Certainly good about the tail, but I figured as much with the toes. That makes sense, I knew that stuck shed on beardies would cause problems. I"ll make sure to keep her nice and comfortable with the humidity so nothing like that will happen again. Yes, I didn't really ask him about it (granted, I hadn't actually looked up a lot of pictures, so while I knew she was missing toes, I wasn't completely aware of what healthy toes look like), but it's a shame. The rest of his animals seemed really well cared for, from what I could see, so I'm hoping that it was just a mistake and that his other animals fare better.

Perfect, then she can just share Gabe's size! That makes it easy. And alright! I will keep that in mind for winter!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The seller may have gotten her from somewhere else, too and not been the one that owned her when it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom