20Gallon reptile?armadillo lizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cshea4

I was looking for a lizard to put in a 20 gallon i have. I was looking into forest armadillo lizards, they seem like they would be a good fit but can't find much on care for them. Any care information or other lizard suggestions would be helpful. Not really interested in getting a leo either. Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....an armadillo lizard would be an excellent choice. :) They are hardy, easy to care for an are live bearers [ if you happen to get one that is pregnant ] :) They need logs/rocks to climb on + under. They are difficult to sex, so you probably won't know what gender you get but the males may have a slightly larger head. They eat the usual bugs....crickets, mealworms, dubia roaches and smaller superworms. I kept mine on a mix of sand/topsoil and a bit of coco fiber but sand was the main substrate. I always thought mine was a female due to body structure so I've included a picture of her. She was always a bit skittish and I didn't handle her that often [ I had too many beardies ] but she was not shy at all + ate daily. I kept a water bowl that she soaked in once in a while and regularly drank from. Heat was about 75 [ cool side ] to about 100 [ hot side ] Here is a pic of her :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29909/full

cshea4

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! I'm still deciding if i want to go with the armadillo lizard or sell the 20 gallon and attempt something larger. Im really interested in the jeweled lacerta and find them really fascinating. just looking for something different than your typical bearded dragon or leopard gecko.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What did you decide ? A fireskink is another hardy + easy to care for lizard. Eats anything + doesn't even need a lot of UVB.

cshea4

Original Poster
Still deciding but i think i have decided to get one! I'm going to wait till after christmas though. I did think for a little while about getting a red eye croc skink or selling the tank and buying/building a large enclosure for a jeweled lacerta. Thanks for the advice!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
There are a few different lizards with the same name. I'm assuming your not talking about armodillo girdled tail lizards?
They are very expensive, last one I saw for sell was $3000. I would love to have a pair.

Check out sungazers...they are cheaper and really interesting animals.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm pretty sure the o.p is referring to the ones commonly sold in pet stores for under $50, usually cordylus tropidosternum. Only 5-8" long , easy to care for and fun to watch. They are usually sold as forest armadillo or armadillo lizards and that would be the one that is most often in the public eye.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Never hurts to ask, but if he is talking about girdled tailed I'll buy it from them for $1000.
Wouldn't you be suprized if they are actually talking about them? That's why getting it straight from the horses mouth is best.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, if you Google " forest armadillo" then you'll see the one that was inquired about which is commonly sold. BTW, I've always loved the sungazers too. Such regal looking animals.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
You are correct, I didn't see that part. I'm dyslexic and reading is kind of difficult. So I make typos all the time, I misread things, and my math skills suck.
No need to google them, now I see my error, I know exactly what a forest armodillo lizard lizard is.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can understand. :) I often miss something obvious in a post that is pertinent . And though I was never diagnosed as dyslexic, I was and am terrible at math and even transpose phone numbers when dialing even as I'm looking directly at the number. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom