Friendly wild house lizards - show us your guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Here's our current house guest

2m42kya.gif

2wppjjo.gif

Enjoying a treat
2qi8bht.gif

giving me the headnods
9ktrg0.gif

He's a juvenile / subadult about 12 months old I think and is a wild water skink.

He's decided living in our house is a good lurk, no nasty cats or dogs or kookaburras, nice and cozy and warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot, plenty of rogue crickets (that get away from me), and occasion treats (mealworms).

We've called "him" Cheakie and he is living up to his name , and he's been visiting since October and shows up and cruises about very regularly, and doesn't seem the least bit phased my our beardies and bluetongues who get to roam about inside everyday.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That would be amazing to have house guests like that! Currently we have a rush of ladybugs and box elders invading the house to get out of the cold but that's about it. Had an Anole hang out on top of the tent between the inner and outer wall while camping in South Carolina a while back.

76248-431084601.jpg

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":1zv0yolj said:
Here's our current house guest

2m42kya.gif

2wppjjo.gif

Enjoying a treat
2qi8bht.gif

giving me the headnods
9ktrg0.gif

He's a juvenile / subadult about 12 months old I think and is a wild water skink.

He's decided living in our house is a good lurk, no nasty cats or dogs or kookaburras, nice and cozy and warm when it's cold, cool when it's hot, plenty of rogue crickets (that get away from me), and occasion treats (mealworms).

We've called "him" Cheakie and he is living up to his name , and he's been visiting since October and shows up and cruises about very regularly, and doesn't seem the least bit phased my our beardies and bluetongues who get to roam about inside everyday.

That's so funny! I had my beardie outside with me one day and one of those exact little lizards kept coming up all curious, so I would let some crickets out and he would come out of nowhere to catch them hahaha

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Cheaky claimed my wife's favourite seat in the modular lounge yesterday and made himself very at home and comfy under the nice cool a/cond on her favourate cushion.

All the time I'm sitting only 4 ft away.

Eventually disappeared to where every he goes when we can't see him (but I could hear him behind the corner unit and he soon reappeared and discovered how nice and warm the transformer for the fax/phone/asm is and stayed on it for ages. I dosed off and was woken up when I felt something crawling onto my left thigh , reached down and discovered it was Cheakie who immediately retreated from my hand but only by about 12" and was staring back at me .... he wasn't scared the least bit off me , but I didn't press my luck by trying to pat him or put my hand near him.... he's not ready for physical contact with me except on his own terms .

BTW Cheakie is the exact same species as Wriggles is , and she gets very excited when she see's him on the floor and more recently on the furniture when she's awake or out on me for her snuggles or to climb all over me or the coffee table.

Taralachelle

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":361dy9ik said:
Cheaky claimed my wife's favourite seat in the modular lounge yesterday and made himself very at home and comfy under the nice cool a/cond on her favourate cushion.

All the time I'm sitting only 4 ft away.

Eventually disappeared to where every he goes when we can't see him (but I could hear him behind the corner unit and he soon reappeared and discovered how nice and warm the transformer for the fax/phone/asm is and stayed on it for ages. I dosed off and was woken up when I felt something crawling onto my left thigh , reached down and discovered it was Cheakie who immediately retreated from my hand but only by about 12" and was staring back at me .... he wasn't scared the least bit off me , but I didn't press my luck by trying to pat him or put my hand near him.... he's not ready for physical contact with me except on his own terms .

BTW Cheakie is the exact same species as Wriggles is , and she gets very excited when she see's him on the floor and more recently on the furniture when she's awake or out on me for her snuggles or to climb all over me or the coffee table.

Hahahaha that's so cute. Gain his trust and you'll have a new family member!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Nearly sat on Cheakie this afternoon, good thing he saw me coming and got out of my way, sat down and a moment later I hear a plonk (he'll jumped off the lounge seat onto the carpet only inches away from my foot) anfd there he was staring up at me, made up to him for the fright I gave him with a treat of 4 mealworms.

Have noticed that if anything new is put on the lounge room Cheakie give it a thorough in and out examination , so we are now warning visitors to not leave bags on the floor , as he might climb and and they might get an accidential stowaway.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Came right up to within about 12 inches of me o\next to me on the loughe while I was giving Puff a cuddle this afternoon , so I decided to offer a mealworm from my open hand.

Huge breakthrough in trust building with Cheakie today, he/she took some mealworms from my open hand .

ka64id.gif

asking for another worm

2j2ymj6.gif

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Climbed completely onto my hand to eat 2 mealworm beetles that I had there this afternoon and while he was distracted I slowly raised my hand off the cushion and gave Cheakie a little gentle ride.
He looked very puzzled when he finished eating and noticed he was up in the air in my hand and was looking all over the place but stayed there long enough for my wife to come and see him, this was his queue to crawl up my arm onto my shoulder and then to leap onto the lounge.
I don't think the hand surf episode scared him, but it did confuse him , if he was frightened by the experience he would leapt off and ran away to hide. he was back asking for more almost immediately. Showed no real hesitation in taking them off my hand, but declined to crawl right on - he even let me tickle him for a few seconds while eating a worm but then backed off an inch or so and gave me the " excuse me - did I say you could do that ? " look.

He was also very puzzled about Wriggles , who I tried to introduced to him , she was happy to stay on my hand and look at Cheakie and then curled up and promptly dismissed him and went to sleep.

Cheakie was really studying her for a long time while she saw napping on my chest....must think Wriggles is a queer water skink.

Lots of lizard therapy for my wife and me today , wish Rex was into long snuggles as Puff was, but she really prefers to be on the go and exploring on the floor, as do the 2 bluetongues (unless the mood takes them , all three have their moments when really want to smooge and have a nice cuddle/snuggle) , at least Wriggles loves her cuddles and snuggles (she spent most the afternoon with me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom