Argentine Black and White Tegu vs. Savannah Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow beardie owners!

I wanted to reach out and see if any of you own a black & white tegu or savannah monitor (or any large species, for that matter). Ever since I was little it has been a dream of mine to own a large lizard, but I didn't have any lizard experience and couldn't until I was out of college! Now I am a happy momma to a beardie that I'm a complete sucker for and two feisty little leopard geckos. Now, I just want to start a conversation. I'm no where near close to purchasing a large lizard, I have lots of homework to do yet and would have to own my own place, I can't imagine owning a giant while renting would go down very well! So it could be a while, but a girl can dream right?

I've always imagined myself with a monitor of some sort but I understand them to be very difficult and nasty if you're not experienced, with the savannah being a bit more manageable. But lately I've fallen in love with the idea of having an Argentine black & white tegu. I think they are beautiful and I've read that they can become very docile with the proper time/training put into them. So do you have any experience with either of these species? What are some pros/cons of each? Which do you prefer? Is there a good website similar to this one concerning larger species (monitors/tegus)? I understand them both to be much more complicated than the basic lizard skills I have! But is one more maintenance (by that I mean more finicky care/environment wise)? I should also add that I'm getting my teaching certificate for high school biology and would one day like a large lizard that's tolerant of people and being gawked at. What are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom