Argentine Black and White Tegu vs. Savannah Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow beardie owners!

I wanted to reach out and see if any of you own a black & white tegu or savannah monitor (or any large species, for that matter). Ever since I was little it has been a dream of mine to own a large lizard, but I didn't have any lizard experience and couldn't until I was out of college! Now I am a happy momma to a beardie that I'm a complete sucker for and two feisty little leopard geckos. Now, I just want to start a conversation. I'm no where near close to purchasing a large lizard, I have lots of homework to do yet and would have to own my own place, I can't imagine owning a giant while renting would go down very well! So it could be a while, but a girl can dream right?

I've always imagined myself with a monitor of some sort but I understand them to be very difficult and nasty if you're not experienced, with the savannah being a bit more manageable. But lately I've fallen in love with the idea of having an Argentine black & white tegu. I think they are beautiful and I've read that they can become very docile with the proper time/training put into them. So do you have any experience with either of these species? What are some pros/cons of each? Which do you prefer? Is there a good website similar to this one concerning larger species (monitors/tegus)? I understand them both to be much more complicated than the basic lizard skills I have! But is one more maintenance (by that I mean more finicky care/environment wise)? I should also add that I'm getting my teaching certificate for high school biology and would one day like a large lizard that's tolerant of people and being gawked at. What are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom