55 gal resident?? PS no beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an empty 55 gal because I found that no heat can get to my beautiful beardie venus, so I moved her into a plastic tub, which she enjoys very much. So, I'm left with a 55 gal that I refuse to waste, so any residents?? NO aquatics please!! (or snakes:parents :( )
Ive been thinking:

Blue tongue skink
Giant Day Gecko
Large Tree frog viv
Etc.
So somebody, please respond!! I must get reptile/amphib!!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What was the problem with heat? I think BTS need heat similar to dragons.

A tank that size would make an awesome frog habitat, especially if you plant it you could do some very nice landscaping. Many tree frogs prefer vertical space though. Maybe as a terrarium for a few anoles.
A colony of leopard geckos may be suitable, and you can provide them with belly heat and could do some cool landscaping with expanding foam style backgrounds.

dragonlover4774

Original Poster
The BTS are burrowing, so I could layer up aspen to reach the heat, but not with beardies(its a long story)
Maybe tokays??? not sure. or cave geckos. A guy near me breeds them, actually several (I'm very lucky)
\

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a few suggestions.....all of these are very hardy......fireskink,.....armadillo lizard.....a group of fire belly toads..... , all are easy to care for.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
55gal is way too much small floor space for a BTS or a bearded dragon - beardie should be in 40g-75g and bts need a 75g as they get to be almost three feet long.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've seen a few care sheets, none of them are really in depth, but these are easy to care for. Actually there are a few subspecies, the ones that are most common in the pet trade are cordylus jonesii, c.tropidosternum and c.mossambicus. These are in the 6-9" range. A true armadillo lizard [ c.catyphractus] is about 15 -17" long [ I believe ] It's the smaller ones that are offered usually, [ the first 3 I mentioned ] and these are from the dry forests of East Africa. Some owners use a mixture of sand + reptile safe mulch. They will use branches, logs + rocky dens all in the same tank, but they don't really climb very high. A basking spot about 90 -95, with ambient around 76-80, night time 65-70. Humidity around 35 %. They'll eat all the usual bugs , including mealworms, superworms, crix + dubia. A water bowl, at least the length of their body, will be used for drinking and an occasional soak. They need UVB, so you'll need a heat bulb as well as a good UVB, and you can use a mercury vapor bulb [ like Powersun by Zoomed ] to provide both. They are live bearers and can produce at least 1-3 babies [ might be more ] at a time. I enjoyed mine, it was a wild caught adult when I got it but it lived for about 8 years....I've read that they can live 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom