I know it's not a beardie but... Need Chameleon help ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Hey everyone, sorry to invade the beardie ER with chameleon issues but I just rescued this gal from some pretty severe neglect and I'm hoping someone here knows more about chams than I do!

I work at a pet store, and about two days ago a customer brought in a chameleon that they got for free off Craig's list. The add showed a healthy lizard, but they ended up getting this one with the worst MBD I've ever seen, and to top it off, she was crushed because they DROPPED HER FOOD DISH ON HER. she doesn't have the strength to move, she can't close her mouth and she is really deformed. I showed the customer how to feed her baby food and they were going to try to help her, but they brought her back to me tonight.

So, I'm not really sure what to do! I soaked her, tried to feed her more, and gave her a little heat light and an old ReptiSun. She perked up, but she is ridiculously skinny and I'm worried she won't be able to eat enough. I have chicken and turkey baby food, since I'm not really sure if they should have fruits/veggies since they aren't omnivores like beardies? Any advice for me? I'll post a picture tomorrow if she makes it.

Btw she looks like a female veiled to me? I'm not entirely sure though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nice to see you again Jess. Sorry for your predicament.
I can't really offer any useful help, no experience whatsoever with chameleons, but I wish you good luck.

-Brandon

wmwelch

Actually veiled are supposed to be at least somewhat omnivorous, so the addition of some veggies won't hurt her. Make sure you are mixing some calcium in with the food. Maybe even mix some plain pedialyte in. I had a male veiled chameleon a few years ago, and he would eat an occasional bit of greens. From what I have read, they are omnivorous more from necessity such as when insects aren't readily available. I would try to get some water or pedialyte into her to get her more hydrated. Sounds like you are doing a great job.

Wendy

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jess...is the chameleon able to grip on to anything , or just laying on the floor ? Can you post a picture ? It could be a female veiled, which are always captive born or it may be a wild caught Senegal, which type never do very well in captivity. It would be in extreme condition if it doesn't have the strength to grip on anything. If she is hanging on to a branch, that's a good sign. They need to drink by being sprayed, so don't soak it, but spray a gentle stream on to it, directly + gently on the mouth area. If she drinks, it's a good sign, too. Other than spraying her, keep her dried off + warm. In it's condition, it may not even have the strength to drink, so by syringe feeding you can add just a bit of extra water. Do you have access to Critical or Carnivore Care supplement ? Otherwise, chicken + squash baby food. Hopefully the poor thing will make it.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks Brandon! I've been meaning to post here with some pictures and updates, but my summer has gotten pretty hectic! I promise you'll see some of Dudley soon :)

@wmwelch: thanks! That's funny, I've never thought of chams as veggie-eaters lol. I'll pick up some pedialyte and some more baby food flavors. And I've been mixing the cal/vites in the baby food and I told the last people to do that as well, so hopefully she is getting some in her. She did poop twice yesterday so I know she is eating some of it.

@AHBD: she has a pretty tight grip on my finger with her little hands, but other than just holding me she can't move and she can barely keep herself upright :( I propped her up with a rolled up paper towel to hold on to but she tips over easily. Poor thing just lays on the floor.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Jess, if she has strength to grip, then give her a few branches ASAP...they can be close to the floor, but a Cham. needs to grip on something to feel secure. Find branches that are the comfortable size for her to grip. Get them from outside + pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 250 [ not totally necessary really, but that would kill any unwanted resident bugs ] , then cool the sticks quick and give her something to perch on. It's very stressful for them not to grip onto something. They spend their entire lives in trees, rarely coming to the ground, and only briefly.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
So, she actually seems a tiny bit better! She has a little more energy, and her colors looked lighter and "happier"! I soaked her in and had her drink some pedialyte, and fed her baby food twice today. She was initially super excited about her stick, but she can't keep herself on it.

Now, prepare to meet the most pathetic creature ever. I don't understand how someone can think this is okay... :(

f4b9329fe8b2595d2ba7fe7a8b04e0b2.jpg

1cebaa781ce5ea8865b8ec6a52cacf2d.jpg

ad941b5bc0ff9b0dd3af6bb144ad106b.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little pitiful thing ! You're right, that is a female veiled, and looks to be about 3/4 full grown. The males grow much larger. It looks like she was fed but never given any calcium or UVB. She looks soooo tired + the deformities will be draining her little strength that she has. You don't need to soak her, keep up with oral feedings that include hydration. Soaking is stressful to chams., she's already weak, but a gentle " shower " by means of a spray bottle of water is natural to them, and is good for their eye health as well. Jess, the branch should be of a size that she can grip around....about the thickness of your pinky. Even if she just holds it she'll feel better. Keep up the good work, who knows if she'll pull through, but at least she has a chance with someone who cares.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Unfortunately, when I went to turn her lights on this morning, I discovered that she had passed away. :( at least she's not in pain anymore.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

wmwelch

Poor little darling, how someone couldn't look at her and tell she wasn't okay is beyond me, but at least she isn't suffering anymore, and you tried very hard to help her.

Wendy

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from Bearded Dragon Discussions>Beardie ER to Other Reptile Discussions>General]

Jess - I am so sorry that she passed away. Thank you for trying to save her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry Jess. :( I know you tried, but she was in really bad shape. I'm sure that her tongue was not even functional any more at that point, and she just looked incredibly weak so it wasn't a surprise that she didn't make it. It's so nice that you tried to give her a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom