Agama Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I'm going to say this post is not about bearded dragons specifically. It's mostly about Common/Red Headed/Rainbow Agamas and I figured seeing as they are in the same family, it would be okay to post here. Their needs are very similar with the exception of diet (Agamas are strictly insectivores).

I'm in the process of building new cages for my four bearded dragons, three leopard geckos, and Agama. I recently received the agama and two of the BDs from a friend of my sister's and the agama was housed with the BDs. Agamas are from Africa and BDs from Australia. Obviously, I do not want to continue to house either the BDs together or the agama with the BDs. There's not much information on agamas, but the one thing I think is accurate is the fact that, like BDs, they are desert-dwelling critters.

That being said, I've read that gravel, orchid bark, and peat moss are okay as substrate. Play sand was also mentioned, but I don't wish to put any of my critters on sand. Currently the leos are on paper towels, and I'm happy to keep them on that, but right now the BDs and the agama are also on it and I do not wish for them to remain on paper towels.

If it were you, what would you put your BDs and agama on? They each require low humidity. The temperature requirements are a little different, with the agama needing a higher basking temperature (from what I understand). Suggestions please?

Floof

Juvie Member
FWIW, I've always had great luck keeping my beardie on slate tile. Looks nice (and "natural"), holds heat which helps the temps thing, gives a rough surface to allow their nails to wear down, and doesn't impose any impaction risk. It would be a good choice for the beardies and, probably, the agama, too. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom