help with new pet please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
I am thinking of getting another reptile and am torn between a bearded dragon and an iguana - i have experience with beardies and love them to bits! but i have always been intrigued by iguanas.

I was just wondering what the pros and cons are for both - which would be better for me - i have only one beardie now and do not mind the setup and everything - i want a friendly and dosile repti - my beardie is quite short tempered.

I also need a pet that is not frightened easily as my two terriers love to watch them all the time and I have lots of ppl coming in and out of my house, the noise level as you can imagine is quite high on some occasions.

Any help will be appriciated
Thank you - sorry if you think this is a dumb question but i would like to be really informed before getting one (looking at rescuing one from a shelter or something) but will buy if you recommend that!

Grimleo

Juvie Member
http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html

I suggest you read through ALL of that before making the decision to buy an iguana if you haven't already...

IMO an iguana isn't one of the pets you can just ask "should I get it?" They take so much time, effort, money, etc. that you really can't compare them with a beardie. Now if you have read through all of that link I provided, and even more caresheets and such that are out there and(I know this sounds cliche) you think an iguana is the right pet for you, go for it. If not, try another bearded dragon, as they are not all the same. Maybe you could even look into buying a smaller species of monitor, or maybe even a snake if that's what you're into. Just my opinion, but I hope this helps. :)

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't recommend an iguana for your situation. They are notoriously short tempered (there are exceptions of course). They do not like to be pestered (aka your dogs) and they could cause serious injury to them. Iguanas get monstrous!!! I'm with Grimleo on this one...I love Melissa Kaplan's stuff....she knows what's up. Read it and then read it again....

Floof

Juvie Member
Agreed with the previous two posters. An iguana is not just something you jump into. They get humongous (5-6 feet in length), and, in turn, need an enclosure the size of a small room. They're strict herbivores, and eat tons--so you'd be looking at wiping out the local produce aisle once a week. Another good reference for iguanas is the Green Iguana Society (http://greenigsociety.org/).

Really, the best option would be to just stick with what you know--a bearded dragon. If you want something different, there are other, less demanding choices than an Iguana.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom